This classification is governed by a negotiated labor contract and is subject to union shop provisions. For more information about union shop provisions, visit Union Information
As the region's only Level I Trauma center, Harborview Medical Center (HMC) is well known for innovations and excellence in trauma care and its centers of emphasis: Trauma, Burn, Neurosciences, AIDS/STD CARER, and mentally-and medically- vulnerable populations. In addition to the centers of emphasis, HMC serves a mission population for King County. Harborview employees are committed to the vital role the institution plays in the immediate community, as well as the entire Northwest region. HMC is owned by King County and managed by the University of Washington (UW) and serves as a training site for UW's School of Medicine. The UW is proud to be one of the nation's premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, and natural beauty.
HMC is looking for an outstanding Full-Time Pharmacy Technician 1 to join our Outpatient Pharmacy team! The Pharmacy Technician 1 will assist the Pharmacist in professional activities and performing assigned tasks in the outpatient pharmacies. All activities of Pharmacy Technicians are performed under the direct supervision of a registered Pharmacist. Positions in this class are characterized by the performance of certain routine and repetitive functions, and may engage in preparation and packaging of medication and other pharmacy related functions. Interact with patients and the public on a daily basis.
1. Assist patient with intake of new and refill prescriptions.
2. Order entry of medication orders, which would include controlled substances, into the ambulatory pharmacy computer system, for pharmacist verification.
3. Fill patient prescriptions a. Utilize Etreby for filling, labeling and batching. b. Utilize ScriptPro system for filling as appropriate. c. Online adjudication to patients' insurance or other third party payor.
4. Perform financial functions supporting the prescription filling process a. Review patient financial information using online resources. b. Third party billing c. Collection of payments and co-payments. d. Assist patient with alternate sources of payment (i.e. referral to Patient Financial Counselor if appropriate)
5. Dispense prescriptions to patients, appropriately referring those that require counseling to a pharmacist for dispensing.
6. Manage inventory of pharmaceuticals and supplies. a. Utilization of C2 Safe for narcotic inventory. b. Restock vials and supplies. c. Filling of ScriptPro SP 200. d. Complete monthly outdate checking.
7. Prepare Pre-pack Medication
8. Assist in preparation of compound pharmaceuticals under the direct supervision of a pharmacist.
9. Direct clinical inquiries requiring a pharmacist's professional judgment to a pharmacist.
10. Answer inquiries not requiring a pharmacist's professional judgment.
11. Prepare and file prescription records, including archival as required.
12. Staff in satellite clinic pharmacies if requested by lead technician or technician supervisor.
13. Assist in the training and orientation of pharmacy technicians, interns and pharmacists.
14. Know and follow all Pharmacy Department and HMC policies and procedures, as well as all applicable state and federal laws.
15. Perform related duties as assigned.
Six months of experience as a Pharmacy Assistant or equivalent education/experience.
Legal requirement: State of Washington Pharmacy Technician certification.
Experience as a Pharmacy Technician I is preferred
Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Excellent analytical skills.
Experience with pharmacy computer systems and order entry.
Ability to work independently in a creative and assertive manner.
Ability to type 40 wpm, and use other standard equipment accurately and efficiently.
Founded in 1861, the University of Washington is one of the oldest public institutions in the west coast and one of the preeminent research universities in the world. The University of Washington is a multi-campus university comprised of three different campuses: Seattle, Tacoma, and Bothell. The Seattle campus is made up of sixteen schools and colleges that serve students ranging from an undergra...duate level to a doctoral level. The university is home to world-class libraries, arts, music, drama, and sports, as well as the highest quality medical care in Washington State and a world-class academic medical center. The teaching and research of the University’s many professional schools provide undergraduate and graduate students the education necessary toward achieving an excellence that will serve the state, the region, and the nation. As part of a large and diverse community, the University of Washington serves more students than any other institution in the Northwest.