Overton Brooks VA Medical Center recruiting a Board Eligible/Board Certified Gastroenterologist (GI). The candidate will be expected to be proficient in all basic GI endoscopy procedures including EGD and colonoscopy. Other duties include seeing patients in the gastroenterology and hepatology clinics, and consultation for inpatients and the Emergency Department as requested. On call coverage will also be required. The physician will work in a team setting with other physicians, nurse practitioners, clinical pharmacists, registered nurses, and support staff assigned to perform duties to accomplish the treatment of our patients.
Other responsibilities include but not limited to:
* Possess basic endoscopic skills and have a background and interest in clinical/research participation. IBE, ERCP and EUS skills are highly desired.
* Perform diagnostic and therapeutic upper and lower endoscopy, including, stent placement, PEGs, and dilation.
* Work closely with all health care professionals throughout the medical center, and provide consultation to other services.
* Supervise, mentor and teach graduates, including GI fellows and residents.
* Perform chart reviews and coordinate with other providers regarding patient care issues.
* Responsible to document patient care data in electronic medical records (CPRS), such as: history and physical exams, daily progress notes for inpatients, encounters for outpatients, consult notes, discharge summaries and instructions, transfer summaries and enter both new and renewal prescriptions in a timely fashion in all areas in accordance with facility policy.
* Responsible for management of diagnostic, preventative and/or therapeutic gastroenterological and endoscopic services
* Maintain good diagnostic, judgmental and therapeutic acumen at all times
* Participate in quality assurance programs.
* Comply with all quality performance measures and improvement programs contracts under the cognizance of the Gastroenterology Section of Medicine Service.
* Gastroenterology on-call responsibilities will be shared with the other staff Gastroenterologists.
* Participate in committees and task forces.
* Must qualify for an academic appointment at LSU School of Medicine.
Preferred experience: Completion of ACGME accredited fellowship in Gastroenterology and background in clinical research and clinical education.
Work Schedule: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m..,Monday through Friday (On call as required)
In order to qualify for this position you must meet the following:
* Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
* Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine.
* Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
* BLS and ACLS are required.
* Board certified in internal medicine
* Work in hepatology program
* Transplant certification
* Board Certified/Board Eligible in Gastroenterology
* Experience working at a VAMC or Military Healthcare Facility
* Must qualify for academic appointment at LSUHSC, which will be commensurate with qualifications.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard.This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements: Moderate Lifting (15-44 lbs); Moderate Carrying (15-44 lbs); Straight Pulling (up to 2-3 hours); Pushing (up to 2-3 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Walking (up to 2-3 hours); Standing (up to 6-8 hours); Kneeling (up to 2-3 hours); Repeated bending (up to 4-6 hours); Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable; Far vision correctable; Depth perception; Ability to distinguish basic colors; Hearing (aid permitted).
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD-214(s), SF-15 (as applicable) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. For more information, please review the information for disabled Veterans in the application checklist or visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s): *Resume
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:
Your Resume/CV must include information regarding LICENSURE (State of Issue/License #/Date of Exp.), EDUCATION (Type of Degree, etc.).
Your Resume/CV must include the following information: Job title, description of duties, beginning and ending date (month/year -month/year)of employment; and average hours worked per week (FT 40, PT 20).
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents:
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203FX -Occupational Questionnaire Form) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
If you completed the occupational questionnaire online and are unable to upload supporting document(s):