The Assistant Director – Legislative Affairs will provide resource services to Ambulatory Surgery Center Association on federal legislation and regulations, including lobbying Congress, providing legislative policy analysis, attending political events, and assisting in grassroots advocacy efforts. They will work with the Director of Government Affairs and the Government Affairs Committee to develop a comprehensive strategy and approach to address the legislative concerns of ambulatory surgery centers.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Represent the interests of ASCA before Congress.
2. Establish and maintain relationships with key Members of Congress and congressional staffs.
3. Provide timely legislative updates to ASCA members, including periodic presentations at conferences.
4. Attend Political events on behalf of ASCAPAC.
5. Work with department staff to ensure member participation in grassroots advocacy efforts.
6. Represent ASCA interests before other associations and trade groups.
7. Develop and draft articles for the Government Affairs Update, Focus magazine, the ASCA website and other relevant publications.
8. Draft testimony and other communication for use in advocacy efforts.
9. Work with other Washington, DC based organizations and associations to ensure a coordinated effort for voicing and acting upon ASCA positions and issues;
10. Other responsibilities as assigned by the Director of Government and Public Affairs.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Demonstrated knowledge and experience with legislative process and programs, as well as with rules and regulations
2. Ability to effectively present information orally and in writing to top management, members and government officials.
3. Self-motivated and able to work independently and as a member of a team.
4. Discipline to successfully work without close supervision.
5. Capable of providing excellent customer service.
6. Attention to detail and organizational skills.
7. Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to network with policymakers and organizations that have an impact on ASC policy.
8. Demonstrated ability to think strategically with a global perspective of the organization.
9. Ability to plan and prioritize workload and meet deadlines.
10. Ability to respond to common inquiries and questions from members, policymakers or members of the business community.
11. Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Products (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and Internet skills.
12. Display high level of energy and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
Minimum qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in related area (e.g. political science, public policy). Candidates should have two to five years of government relations experience, Hill or federal government experience, and/or similar work for a health-related organization.
ASCA offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive fringe benefits package.
Email resume and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Assistant Director of Government Affairs, Legislative Affairs”.
Or, mail to: Ambulatory Surgery Association Attn: Alisha Felder 1012 Cameron St. Alexandria, VA 22314
The Ambulatory Surgery Center Association is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
About Ambulatory Surgery Center Association (ASCA)
Ambulatory Surgery Center Association (ASCA), is 37-year old membership Association of 2,800 and Ambulatory Surgery Foundation (ASF) is an educational and research organization with a combined budget of $7 million in Alexandria, Virginia.