The individual will report to the Global Head of Compliance but will also be accountable to the Chief Executive of the Asia Pacific region.
Accountabilities may vary at any point in time but will cut across the following disciplines and areas:
- Compliance culture, values and maintaining compliance visibility
- Policy and procedure development
- Buildout and day to day running of the Global Control Room
- Compliance monitoring and surveillance programme
- Financial crime and sanctions
- Supporting overseas branches of VTB Capital
- Supporting Head Office initiatives
- Compliance training programme
- Enhancing the compliance risk assessment framework
- Maintaining a quality product advisory service
- New product approval
- Contributing to maintain the bank's governance model
- Regulatory and industry group liaison
- Day to day compliance administration, including approved person registrations, PA dealing, conflict clearance, Chinese wall crossing, KYC advisory
The job holder can expect to become immediately visible and contribute to building the infrastructure of a developing investment bank. In addition, there will be a broad exposure to a number of products and asset classes and the opportunity to work as part of project management teams to help implement new products and systems.
Key Competencies & Qualifications
The individual would be expected to have several years of Compliance experience, ideally including experience obtained working in one or more large international investment banks.
The expectation is that the job holder would be considered a subject matter expert in a wide range of compliance disciplines. In addition, a general awareness of the proper functioning of systems, processes and controls in an investment banking environment will be necessary.
The individual would also be expected to be educated to graduate level and ideally with a professional qualification (eg law, accountancy)
Experience in managing small teams, including personnel located remotely would also be beneficial
Importantly, given the small size of the team the individual will be expected to be able to deliver at both a macro (strategic level) and a micro (through the provision of direct compliance support as and when required).
Typical Decisions taken by Job Holder
The job holder will need to have good instincts about issues that need to be escalated or which have a potentially problematic component to them. In all other respects, the compliance function aims to operate collegiately and, as best possible, to common and consistent professional standards. That said, the job holder will be sufficiently experienced that they should be comfortable providing compliance advice or a regulatory opinion in a timely and responsive manner, which could mean that the ability to consult with colleagues may not always be possible.