Specialty Director, Post-Master's Doctor of Nursing Practice Program - (170001NV)
The University of Maryland School of Nursing (UMSON) is seeking a full-time Specialty Director, with 30% administrative effort, for the Post-Master's Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) Program. A Specialty Director provides curricular leadership and guidance to faculty to ensure that all standards related to the specialty are maintained . The Specialty Director will work in conjunction with the Associate Dean and Senior Director of the DNP Program to lead the administrative and academic aspects of the Post-Master's DNP Program.
UMSON enrolls more than 1,900 students in its baccalaureate, master's, and doctoral programs and is ranked #10 in US News and World Report's list of Best Graduate Schools. UMSON is part of the University of Maryland Baltimore professional campus that also includes the schools of dentistry, medicine, law, pharmacy, and social work, as well as the Graduate School, and is one of the fastest growing biomedical research centers in the nation.
Specialty Directors have dual reporting responsibilities; to the Associate Dean of the DNP Program related to the academic administration of the DNP Program and to their respective Department Chair related to their faculty role. The Specialty Director reports to the Associate Dean of the DNP Program for his/her programmatic leadership role and work related to the academic mission such as curricular oversight, student admission and progression, recruitment, and marketing. S/he also works closely with the Senior Director and other DNP SDs to facilitate an integrated seamless DNP curriculum. The Specialty Director reports directly to the Department Chair for his/her faculty role such as teaching assignments, rank promotion, and faculty evaluations.
· Serves as an active leader in developing, reviewing and revising curriculum in the specialty as well as in monitoring and evaluating course evaluations in compliance with accrediting standards and national specialty competencies.
· Coordinates admissions, advisement and tracks the progression of students through the program, and addresses issues of academic progression.
· Chairs regularly scheduled meetings with the specialty faculty to discuss curriculum issues, clinical/practicum experiences, DNP projects, course evaluation results, accreditation, and accountability concerns and student curriculum or advisement options.
· Provides oversight and advisement in the coordination of clinical/practicum placements including ongoing evaluation of the effectiveness and appropriateness of each site.
· Provides ideas and recommendations for faculty development and recruitment.
· Advocates for the specialty by expressing programmatic points of view on academic and fiscal issues that impact the specialty.
· Coordinates curriculum instruction and participates in teaching components of the specialty curriculum and provides input regarding faculty assignments, faculty selection and peer review.
· As appropriate, maintains clinical skills and mentors students in that setting.
· Remains knowledgeable of national education trends and accreditation/certification issues that impact curriculum and makes appropriate recommendations.
· Prepares accreditation/accountability reports and assists in strategic plan implementation.
Embraces a participatory leadership style and fosters a climate of shared governance, respect and collegiality.
Demonstrates sound decision making, strong managerial skills, effective communication skills, and a commitment to diversity.
Encourages innovation and integrity.
Articulates trends, is open to the ideas of others, and encourages appropriate action.
Makes timely decisions when appropriate.
Doctor of Nursing Practice degree.
Experience teaching at the doctoral level.
Evidence of progressive scholarly achievements in nursing practice.
Organization: Nursing - Organizational Systems and Adult Health
The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) is the State's public health, law and human services university devoted to excellence in professional and graduate education, research, patient care, and public service. As a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students, and using state-of-the-art technological support, we educate leaders in health care delivery, biomedical science, globa...l health, social work and the law. We emphasize interdisciplinary education and research in an atmosphere that explicitly values civility, diversity, collaboration, teamwork and accountability. By conducting internationally recognized research to cure disease and to improve the health, social functioning and just treatment of the people we serve, we foster economic development in the City, State, and nation. We are committed to ensuring that the knowledge we generate provides maximum benefit to society and directly enhances our various communities.