The three Scientific Directors are in charge of scientific and technical matters, including the design, construction, commissioning and operation of the photon beam systems and the instrumentation; and the establishment of the scientific program of the European XFEL. They contribute to shaping the user operation of the facility towards the goal of world-class scientific excellence. They strive to enlarge the user community in new scientific areas. Their work is coordinated by the Chairperson of the Management Board, and the Board reports to the Council.
The presently advertised Scientific Director, in particular:
- Leads the operation and development of the hard X-ray experimental stations
- Is responsible for the scientific support groups in controls, advanced electronics, scientific computing, data management and detectors
- Leads the establishment of new scientific programs at the hard x-ray photonsystems
The Company is looking for a world leading scientist in free electron laser or X-ray synchrotron radiation scientific applications. The successful candidate should possess:
- Strong background in X-ray photon science
- Proven track record in managing scientific groups
- Experience in supervising scientific support groups
- Ability to work as a team player in the Management Board
- Ability to work in a complex multidisciplinary environment
- Ability to find creative solutions on complex problems
- Excellent communication skills
- Cooperative leadership style
- Ability to inspire and engage the staff
The working language of European XFEL is English, hence fluency in spoken and written English is a must.