Located in the Central Office of the Florida Department of Health, Tallahassee, Florida. Serves as the Bureau of Epidemiology’s (BOE) Infectious Disease Prevention and Investigation Section Administrator and senior medical epidemiologist, overseeing the application of state-of-the-art medical/epidemiological principles for infectious disease surveillance, outbreak investigation, and response.
HEALTH MEDICAL EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR - 64001522
- Manages over 30 state employee and contract staff; as well as CDC Career Epidemiology Field Officers and Epidemic Intelligence Service Officers, and/or Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists Fellows, when assigned.
- Provides overall planning, guidance, direction, management and medical subject matter expertise for BOE’s applied infectious disease epidemiology and investigations, food and waterborne disease program (including Integrated Food Safety Center of Excellence), zoonoses and vectorborne diseases, healthcare-associated infections and the Florida Epidemic Intelligence Service (FL-EIS).
- Receives and responds to requests for epidemic assistance within the state and consults with county health departments; health care, hospital and laboratory providers; and other professionals on disease control activities such as diagnoses, case confirmation, quarantine, isolation and related infectious disease issues.
- Provides medical subject matter expertise to Emergency Support Function 8 and serves in Incident Management Team leadership roles, as assigned, in the event of a bioterrorist attack or a statewide or multi-county infectious disease outbreak.
- Responsible for portions of grant applications and deliverables funded by CDC cooperative agreements for Public Health Emergency Preparedness and for Epidemiology and Laboratory Capacity for Infectious Diseases.
- Provides medical/epidemiological review of publications produced by BOE and helps mentor junior epidemiologists, including reviewing their work for scientific content.
- Authors and co-authors articles regarding the science of epidemiology, epidemiological studies and other public health subjects for professional journals and publications.