Assistant Director, Environmental Health and Safety
Union Level: Department: Business & Finance Campus: Stockton Posting Number: 201301202P Full or Part Time: Full Time Number of Months: 12 Work Schedule: Work performed during standard business hours.Must be available for emergency response situations 24/7. Position End Date: Open Date: 11/17/2017 Close Date: Open Until Filled: Yes Special Instructions:
Primary Purpose: Directs university environmental health and safety activities to ensure compliance and drive personal ownership and accountability of environmental health and safety for all students, faculty and staff University wide.
Essential Functions: 1. Collaborates with various divisions and departments throughout the university to build a strong EHS culture.
2. Ensures that professional standards, best practices, campus policies, and state and federal regulations are followed to achieve a safe environment for faculty, staff, students, and visitors.
3. Design, implement and monitor a variety of environmental health and safety programs, including radiation safety, biosafety, chemical safety, laboratory safety, shop safety, industrial, hygiene, hazardous material handling and waste, controlled substances, nanomaterials, hearing protection, respiratory protection, fall protection, environmental protection (air, storm water, and wastewater), office safety, injury investigation and any other hazard related to university operations.
4. Provide direction and guidance in monitoring the purchase, use, inventory, documentation and disposal of chemicals and radioactive isotopes.
5. Maintains principal oversight, and direction of all aspects of safety training including classroom, online and establishment of a training calendar of activities.
6. Lead and provide direction in the scheduling, coordination, and collaboration regarding all aspects of safety inspections.
7. Provide direction and oversight to ensure compliance with regulations.
8. Develops, implements, and maintains departmental policies, procedures, strategies, and programs to successfully achieve the management and mitigation of EHS risks.
9. Champions environmental health and safety improvements including the use and development of programs/tools that drive efficiency.
10. Develops and effectively utilizes Key Performance Indicators to provide consistent transparency to the status of our Safety program effectiveness and to create action plans.
11. Serve as liaison with applicable external regulatory agencies and oversees contractors and consultants who perform services on campus.
12. Maintains records, prepares and submits appropriate reports to Federal, State, County and City authorities as appropriate.
13. Oversees contractors and consultants to accomplish environmental, safety and health projects.
14. Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Minimum of seven (7) years experience in environmental health and safety.
Bachelors degree in occupational safety and health or related field.
Professional certification(s) in a recognized related professional discipline.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative but not definitive of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Work is performed in different environments on campus (labs, office, outdoors etc.) with use of computer and phone. Occasional walking across campus, climbing stairs, stooping and reaching. Occasional lifting up to 50 pounds. Driving to and from other campus locations, including the use of a golf cart.
Exposure to hazardous waste. Must be able to wear a respirator.
Must be able to participate under the Occupational Health Surveillance Program.
Work Environment/Work Week/Travel: Work is primarily performed in a standard office and lab EH&S role environment with use of computer and phone. Travel between campuses in Stockton, San Francisco and Sacramento. Work performed during standard business hours. Must be available for emergency response situations 24/7.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience, exempt
Background Check Statement: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check
AA/EEO Policy Statement: University of the Pacific is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity. In compliance with applicable law and its own policy, Pacific is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff and does not discriminate in its hiring of faculty and staff, or in the provision of its employment benefits to its faculty and staff on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sex/gender, marital status, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, or mental or physical disability.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
University of the Pacific is a nationally ranked university with a long tradition of dedicated teaching, small class sizes, practical experience and vibrant residential life. The breathtaking main campus in Stockton, California is home to seven schools and colleges, with more than 80 majors and programs of study. Pacific also has the McGeorge School of Law in Sacramento and the Arthur A. Dugoni Sc...hool of Dentistry in San Francisco. Total university enrollment is nearly 7,000, with 3,757 undergraduates in an average class size of 19 and a student/faculty ratio of 14:1. Eighty-seven percent of students come from California, with 35 other states and 25 foreign countries also represented. Explore University of the Pacific www.pacific.edu