The Director of Development will be an integral part of the organization, serving as a member of the senior team and working closely with the Executive Director, Deputy Director, Communications Director, program staff, and the Development Committee of the Board of Directors.
Position reports to the Executive Director. The Director of Development manages a staff of three to five.
Muslim Advocates (MA) is a national legal advocacy and educational organization that works on the front lines of civil rights to guarantee freedom and justice for Americans of all faiths. Muslim Advocates’ experienced lawyers and policy experts address some of the most pressing civil rights and human rights challenges facing our nation today.
Muslim Advocates is staffed with experts with deep experience in the courtroom and powerful connections in Congress and Washington DC. As a thoughtful voice in Washington, Muslim Advocates ensures the concerns of American Muslims are heard by leaders at the highest levels of government. As a watchdog of justice, Muslim Advocates uses the courts to bring to task those who threaten the rights of American Muslims.
Muslim Advocates was founded in 2005 and operates in the San Francisco Bay Area and Washington, DC. Its mission is to use legal advocacy, policy engagement, and education to promote and protect equality, liberty and justice for Americans of all faiths, and to promote the full and meaningful participation of Muslims in American public life.
For more information on Muslim Advocates, please visit www.muslimadvocates.org.
Seven to ten years of progressively challenging fundraising experience
• Integrity, intellectual agility, and demonstrated ability to think strategically
• Experience in social justice, civil rights, interfaith, and/or American Muslim nonprofits preferred
• Proven leadership, strategy, management, organizational, and fundraising skills
• Success in raising significant individual, corporate, and foundation support
• Substantial experience in designing and implementing a comprehensive fundraising plan that includes major gifts, annual giving, corporate, and foundation fundraising
• Experience motivating staff and board members to participate in direct solicitation, cultivation, and stewardship activities
• Strong leadership and management experience with the demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines, mentor staff, and guide decision-making
• Excellent written and verbal skills and the ability to write and speak persuasively
• Ability to listen to others attentively and learn from their best ideas – a sense of inquisitiveness and intellectual curiosity
• Ability to function either independently or as an active team member • Experienced and adept at dealing with sensitive political and social situations
• Experience preparing budgets and producing reports (updates and projections)
• Event planning experience
• Proficiency with Salesforce, PowerPoint, Word, and Excel highly desirable
• Strong cross-cultural awareness and the ability to build effective strategic alliances
• Willingness and ability to travel up to 25 percent of the time
• Demonstrated ability to manage sensitive and confidential information with integrity
• Bachelor’s degree required and advanced course work appreciated
• Commitment to and enthusiasm for the mission of Muslim Advocates
Cook Silverman Saarch is a retained search firm focused on senior management positions for nonprofit organizations including development, marketing/communications, and executive directors. Cook Silverman Search has a client base that represents a broad span of organizations, including independent schools, universities, and faith-based organizations, as well as those serving conservation, health care, social service, museums, science, and culture.