The University Auditor will manage CDU’s internal audit / consulting and risk management functions as a means to strengthen university’s processes, internal controls and mitigate the university’s operational, financial, compliance and information risks.
EDUCATION: • Four year degree (B.A. / B.S.) in business administration, accounting or other related area. A combination of relevant education and experience may substitute for the degree requirement.
EXPERIENCE: • Seven years related experience. Four years compliance, audit, or internal controls preferred. A combination of relevant education and experience may substitute for the experience requirement.
KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES: • Knowledge of applicable rules, laws, and other regulations. • Knowledge of accounting, business operations, financial and operational analysis. • Ability to assemble, analyze, and evaluate accounting and financial data. • Ability to prepare clear, concise, and appropriate oral and written reports. • Ability to develop and conduct financial and operational analyses. • Ability to conduct clear and compelling presentations. • Ability to work with all levels of personnel. • Ability to develop strong work relationships with Board members, leadership, faculty, staff, and external constituents. • Ability to work independently with minimal support and minimal supervision. • Ability to develop audit programs, policies, and procedures. • Ability to develop internal control systems and reports. • Applicable computer skills as appropriate. • Ability to establish and maintain auditing procedures.
MBA or other related advanced degree preferred.
LICENSES/CERTIFICATIONS: • Valid California Driver’s License. • Certified Internal Auditor, Certified Management Accountant, or Certified Public Accountant preferred.
• Performs independent audits that include reviewing the effectiveness of operations to ensure reliability and integrity of financial and operational information, effectiveness and efficiency of operations, safeguarding of assets, and compliance with laws, regulations, and contracts. • Develop a flexible annual audit plan using an appropriate risk-based methodology, including any risks or control concerns identified by management, and submit that plan to the Board of Trustee’s Audit & Compliance Committee (A&C Committee) for review and approval. • Implement the annual audit plan, as approved, including as appropriate any special tasks or projects requested by the A&C Committee, the University President, and/or Vice President for Finance & Chief Business Officer. • Interviews personnel to obtain relevant information and an understanding of the audit area. • Reviews documentation to ensure proper compliance with university policies and applicable laws, rules, and regulations • Issue periodic reports to the A&C Committee and management summarizing results of audit, control and risk management activities. • Recommend improvements designed to manage risk and promote cost-effective controls, safeguard University assets, and ensure compliance with management standards and government laws and regulations. • Follow-up on management’s response to control and risk management recommendations to determine if agreed upon corrective action has been implemented. Where appropriate, facilitate implementation of corrective actions. • Keep the A&C Committee informed of follow-up activity, emerging trends, and successful practices in internal auditing. • Assist with the investigation of significant suspected fraudulent activities within the organization and notify management and the A&C Committee of the results. • Consider the scope of work of the external auditors and regulators, as appropriate, for the purpose of providing optimal audit coverage to the University at a reasonable overall cost. • Maintain professional relationships with other internal auditing and risk management departments. Maintain association memberships and attend meetings and seminars that promote the modern practice of internal auditing and risk management. • Maintain the internal audit website to include periodical updates of current audit issues that could potentially impact the University community. • Work with the Chief Compliance Officer to resolve complaints made through the University’s whistleblower hotline.
Other Duties and Responsibilities: • Performs other related duties as assigned.
• The ability to perform complex highly detailed work with sustained attention and care. • Independent high level review, analysis, and interpretation. • Complex research. • Complex verbal and written reports. • The ability to perform highly detailed work with sustained attention.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. • Occasional stooping. Frequent standing. Constant walking, sitting, climbing, reaching high/low levels, finger movement, feeling, speaking clearly, hearing conversationally, and seeing far and near.
• The mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. • Frequent work on a variety of unrelated tasks. Constant calculating, interrupted work on a variety of interrelated tasks, and use of sustained concentration, reasoning, judgment, resourcefulness, analytical ability, and ingenuity.
• The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. • Occasionally required to work in confined space. Some local travel required in order to conduct off-site reviews.
• Ability to work effectively with a diverse community.
Additional Salary Information: Commensurate with experience.
Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science (CDU) is a premier mission-driven university dedicated to transforming the lives of underserved communities through health professions education, biomedical research and compassionate patient care. Since incorporating in 1966 out of the ashes of the Watts rebellion, we’ve been serving South Los Angeles and beyond by working to eliminate health dis...parities and providing unique, quality education and training opportunities. CDU has produced thousands of diverse health care leaders ready to provide care in today’s workforce with excellence and compassion.
Excellent health and wellness for all persons, peoples and communities, in a world without health disparities.
The University develops a diverse group of health professional leaders who seek social justice, promote wellness, provide care with excellence and compassion, and are uniquely qualified to transform the health of underserved populations through outstanding education, research, and clinical services in the context of community engagement.
Excellence Accountability Compassion Diversity Integrity
Legacy Service Community Innovation Leadership