Position Summary: We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Assistant Director-Molecular Pathology.
In this role, the successful candidate manages and ensures the proper performance and operations of the molecular pathology laboratory. Directs all laboratory activities and together with the Molecular Pathology Medical Director and Administrative Director oversees the laboratory. Designs and scientifically develops methodology for new clinical tests. In conjunction with the Medical Director evaluates the applicability of different methodology and establishes the appropriate technological changes to be implemented. Ensures regulatory compliance for the molecular pathology laboratory and implements the laboratory specific Quality control program.
Designs research and development protocols and analyzes data to introduce novel clinical assays to enable test menu expansion.
2. Designs and scientifically develops methodology and validation processes for new clinical tests in conjunction with the Molecular Pathology Director. Ensures validation process is developed and implemented in accordance with all regulatory agency standards.
3. Assists the medical director with result interpretation and review including next generation sequencing data.
4. Establishes and formulates protocols and manuals for the laboratory.
5. Oversees the operations of the molecular pathology laboratory.
6. Oversees the development, performance, and monitoring of Quality Control, Quality Assurance and Quality Improvement procedures for the molecular pathology laboratory.
7. Oversees regulatory compliance for the molecular pathology laboratory. Ensures compliance with CAP, NYS, and Joint Commission. Works with the medical director to ensure that all testing meets all prescribed requirements of various regulatory standards.
8. Ensures the departmental biohazard, chemical, hazardous waste, infection control, and other safety polices are followed.
9. Management of staff: assigns responsibilities, establishes work hours, monitors staffing and approves necessary overtime.
10. Staff Development, Evaluation, Counseling and Personnel related activities: Oversees supervision of the entire staff. Interviews perspective employees, evaluates and documents staff performance and performs personnel counseling. Recognizes and identifies staff needs and develops programs to meet needs.
11. Planning and Budgeting/Cost Containment: Participates in cost control activities by seeking the most effective method of delivering quality services, and maintains an awareness of the cost impact of decisions and actions.
12. Assists with determining billing coding methodology for molecular pathology.
13. Equipment procurement. Stays abreast of new technologies and suggests implementation of new technology within the laboratory.
14. Involved in teaching pathology residents and fellows and rotating medical students.
Minimum Qualifications: To qualify you must have a PhD with three years experience and NYS License as a clinical laboratory technologist.
Required Licenses: Clinical Lab Technologist-NYS
Preferred Qualifications: PhD with five years experience in Molecular Pathology. Experience with next-generation sequencing testing methodologies. High complexity technical supervisor certification in molecular diagnostics.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Health provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online. If you wish to view NYU Langone Health's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.
NYU Langone Health, a world-class patient-centered integrated academic medical center, is one of the nation's premier centers for excellence in clinical care, biomedical research, and medical education. Located in the heart of Manhattan, NYU Langone is composed of four hospitals – Tisch Hospital, its flagship acute care facility; Rusk Rehabilitation; the Hospital for Joint Diseases, one of only fi...ve hospitals in the nation dedicated to orthopaedics and rheumatology; and Hassenfeld Children's Hospital, a comprehensive pediatric hospital supporting a full array of children's health services across the medical center – plus the NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. The medical center's tri-fold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved 365 days a year through the seamless integration of a culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education and research. For more information, go to www.nyulangone.org.