Catholic Charities of Baltimore is a non-profit organization with a family of over 2000 employees of all faiths and ethnicities who help to improve the lives of those we serve. We are the largest private provider of human services in Maryland. On a daily basis we operate 80 charitable service programs throughout the state of Maryland, serving children and families, people living in poverty, individuals with intellectual disabilities, immigrants, and seniors. Here, you can build a career where you make meaningful differences in the lives of others as we fulfill our mission to love, serve, teach, and work for justice.
The Director of Development is responsible for building and leading a team of fundraising professionals in the development, implementation, and monitoring of strategies to ensure funding to the agency and the ongoing identification, cultivation, gift request, closing, and stewardship of new potential sources of philanthropic support. This position reports to the Executive Director and is a member of the Agency Management Committee.
JOB DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Accountable for leading and managing a team of development professionals responsible for mission-driven annual campaigns, major gifts, corporate and foundation support, planned giving, grants and fundraising/awareness events.
· Develops and leads donor cultivation efforts and ensures readiness for and completion of comprehensive campaigns, strengthening donor giving, and increasing the stature of Catholic Charities as an outstanding, worthy, and impactful philanthropic cause in the community.
· Engages in the gift requests of higher-level donors and in identifying, cultivating, requesting, and stewarding high-level prospects.
· Develops operating and capital program budgets according to Agency guidelines and the budget calendar.
· Monitors expenses/revenues and ensures that budget expectations are met while ensuring accomplishment of goals and program quality.
· Participates in the strategic planning process, translating strategic initiatives into measurable, achievable goals for the Development Department. Establishes annual written Department and staff goals for all areas of Development to include annual, mid-and long-term goals. Establishes annual goals for the Development Department.
· Leads all prospect research, data analytics, and predictive modeling efforts to ensure a deeper, broader prospect pipeline among funders, donors, stakeholders, volunteers, employees, former employees, etc.
· Establishes and measures, on a regular basis, quality and risk management standards. Ensures that all development activities comply with established policies, procedures and legal requirements (including relevant tax law).
· Responsible for leading the Development staff including acquiring, developing, leveraging, engaging, and retaining Development employees. Provides ongoing counsel, support and supervision while encouraging career development. Provides performance management as appropriate.
· Develops, implements, maintains, and evaluates the departmental structure and staffing pattern to ensure an effective service delivery system.
· Has overall responsibility for ensuring that Development staff collaborate effectively with Communications, Marketing, Mission Integration, & other Central Services staff on all development materials and events ensuring timeliness, accuracy, and consistency of message in all activities. Has overall responsibility for ensuring that all staff, including Development, are actively engaged in agency programs and providing support as needed.
· As staff liaison, provides support and guidance to the agency’s Development Committee and Planned Giving Advisory Committee.
· Able to negotiate and administer contracts.
· Responsible for adapting, innovating, & challenging the status quo; understanding change paradigms; introducing fresh perspectives; guiding the department and organization in new directions while identifying new opportunities for synergy and integration.
CATHOLIC CHARITIES COMMITMENTS:
The responsibilities of this position must be consistently performed using the following behaviors:
1. Honor and respect the Dignity of every person.
2. Encounter each person with Compassion.
3. Act with Humility.
4. Reach out to others in a spirit of Collaboration.
5. Serve with Excellence.
6. Act with Integrity in everything you do.
· Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in Human Service Management, Business Management, or a related field preferred.
· Advanced degrees in other fields will be considered in combination with extensive experience in an Executive/Senior Management capacity.
· Minimum of 7 to10 years of development, sales, marketing, and/or business development experience, with at least 5 years of increasingly responsible management experience in overseeing multiple senior level staff.
· Understands, and embraces fully, mission-based, human services organizations either by having worked in such organizations or supporting such initiatives.
· Must have proven track record of successful development, and having developed, implemented, and operated capital campaigns.
· Proven experience conducting charitable gift planning including advanced gift planning.
· Must be an outstanding communicator, with the demonstrated ability to inspire through verbal and written communications and present a professional image.
· Requires proven success in building and maintaining long-term relationships with individual, charitable foundation, and corporate donors and financial prospects. Must be socially adept and excel at initiating conversations with strangers, and attract and inspire volunteers; must demonstrate the ability to actively request, secure, and steward gifts and pledges.
· Must have experience implementing and using cloud-based fundraising software, preferably Raisers Edge, and experience using data-driven performance based measures and outcomes. Must have proven experience using latest technology including Office 365 and Microsoft programs.
· Requires proven ability to attract, select, develop, and retain a cadre of people for leadership positions that
have technical ability and behaviors that align with the Mission, Vision, Values, and Philosophies of the Agency and build bench-strength for succession.
· Ideal candidates will be familiar with the work, and impact, of Catholic Charities of Baltimore and the types of programs we operate.
· Requires proven leadership skills with a capacity for leading in a large multifaceted organization spread across multiple locations and jurisdictions.
· As part of a large, complex agency, must be able to collaborate with centralized administration & communications and create an alignment of purpose, shared philosophies of service, and consistent standards of practice.
· Requires an ability to build a high-performing team, addressing performance deficiencies as needed and making changes as necessary.
· Must have the ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, financial reports, legal documents, technical procedures, and governmental regulations.
· Works with commercial vendors, government agencies, community groups, and other organizations as necessary.
Physical and Other Requirements:
The position requires intermittent sitting, standing, bending and the ability to move freely throughout the buildings including using stairs; travel between the office and nearby locations in a timely and efficient manner. Must have visual and hearing acuity and clear speech sufficient to perform the job effectively.
Requires a willingness to work evenings and weekends. Must have reliable transportation. If driving a personal vehicle or agency vehicle while on agency business, must possess a current Maryland driver's license with no more than 3 points.
Catholic Charities is a movement to improve lives. We are a family of more than 2,000 talented and dedicated colleagues, supported by nearly 17,000 selfless volunteers and more than 10,000 generous donors. These marvelous individuals are of all faiths, ages and ethnicities, and together, we touch the lives of hundreds of thousands of individuals and families each year. Catholic Charities is our co...mmunity at its best! Through thousands of encounters each day, at our 80 programs and over 200 locations, lives are improved and our community is made stronger.
Why do we do this work? It is rooted in the Gospel mandates to love, to serve, to teach and to work for justice. These mandates inspire us and fuel our mission to improve the lives of Marylanders in need.
Our faith and values impel us to welcome everyone who comes to us seeking a better today and a better tomorrow. Every woman, man, and child arrives with an immediate need, and without regard to their circumstances, we open our doors and our hearts. We recognize and cherish the Divine within every person we encounter.
Catholic Charities serves and supports children and families in crisis, people living in poverty, individuals with intellectual disabilities, our new neighbors in the immigrant community and older Marylanders. Our programs and services address both immediate needs and provide support and preparation for fostering the independence and self-sufficiency of our clients. With compassion and a standard of excellence second to none, we continue a legacy of service that began with the establishment of the Catholic Church in Baltimore in 1792.