Vice President - Patient Care Services (Medical/Surgical)
CHI St. Luke's Health System
February 12, 2018
Vice President - Patient Care Services (Medical/Surgical) Schedule -Full-time Job -Executives Daily Schedule-Full Time Scheduled Hours per 2-week Pay Period-80 Weekends Required-Occasional Primary Location -TEXAS-HOUSTON-ST LUKES MEDICAL CENTER Baylor St. Luke's Medical Center A quaternary care facility that is home of the Texas HeartÂ® Institute, a world-class cardiovascular research and education institution founded in 1962 by Denton A. Cooley, MDâ“consistently ranked as one of the nation's best in Cardiovascular Services & Heart Surgery. The first hospital in Texas and the Southwest designated a MagnetÂ® hospital for Nursing Excellence by the American Nurses Credentialing Center, receiving the award four consecutive times. Baylor St. Luke's is home to three freestanding community emergency centers (Holcombe, Pearland, and San Felipe) offering adult and pediatric careâ“treating more than 51,000 patients annually. The hospital holds a collaborative partnership with Baylor College of Medicine and affiliations with The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, The University of Texas Medical Branch (Galveston), Houston Baptist University, and Prairie View A&M University. Position Summary Serves at the executive level providing leadership in the delivery of nursing care, treatment, and services. Has direct line authority for patient care units, Social Services, Palliative Care, Case Management, Emergency Center, Community Emergency Centers, Patient Placement, Endoscopy, Dialysis, Infusion Therapy, Nursing Administration, Center for Advanced Practice, Nursing & Patient Education, Internal Medicine, and Psychiatry. Has the primary responsibility for establishing and ensuring clinical patient care standards are achieved in a cost-effective manner. Establish nursing services consistent with the overall hospital values and goals and to provide a practice environment to assure CHI St. Luke's as an employer of choice. Has the authority and responsibility for meeting the bottom lines of quality and financial performance for the areas of accountability. The position also has matrix responsibility for all nursing positions through out the hospital to ensure that appropriate standards of care are met.
**Position will oversee
662. 53 FTEs and 418 beds**Medical/Surgical Inpatient Units include Liver Disease, Dialysis, Cardiovascular Telemetry, Surgical, Transplant, Oncology, VIP Unit, Hepatology, Medical, Cardiology, Rehab and Orthopedics.Minimum Requirements Education: Master's Degree Licensure: Registered Nurse (RN) license as recognized by the Texas State Board of Nursing.
Minimum Experience: Must have a minimum of ten (10)years experience in progressive management roles, or the equivalent, with a sound knowledge of clinical nursing, management, and quality enhancement Position Responsibilities 1. Participates in hospital's decision-making processes by collaborating with leaders from the governing body, health system management, hospital leadership council, medical staff and clinical areas in developing strategic plans, budgets, resource allocation, operational plans and policies
2. Leads nursing leadership in the development of a nursing mission, vision, philosophy, strategic plan congruent with the hospital's mission, vision, and strategic plan.
3. Mentors and Develops managers and staff to assume leadership roles both formally and informally, via role modeling and facilitating staff participation in a shared leadership structure.
4. Directs patient care team effectively as team leader and change agent
5. Develops and Implements effective communication channels to provide information to all staff members; provide the forum for staff to verbalize concerns, issues and ideas in a non-threatening environment.
6. Develops and continually enhances a positive working relationship and the ability to problem solve with other members of the patient care delivery team including physicians and other departments.
7. Directs the development, implementation and administration of a shared decision making model
8. Represents nursing services at established meetings with other hospital leaders, medical staff, and other clinical leaders.
9. Advocates for nursing staff regarding allocation of resources including FTEs, systems, equipment, and support.
10. Meets regularly with nursing management and staff nurse professional council members to facilitate problem resolution, information exchange, planning and timely communication.
11. Designs and approves the plan for providing patient care including determining the types and numbers of nursing personnel and staff necessary to provide nursing care for all areas of the hospital.
12. Provides for the establishment and implementation of patient care standards including policies and procedures that meet national, state and local rules and regulations as well as voluntary accreditation standards
13. Participates in the evaluation, selection, and integration of health care technology and information management systems that support patient needs and the efficient utilization of patient care resources
14. Designs and Implements patient care programs that meet the nursing care needs of the patient populations served.
15. Ensures that processes and policies for patient care are designed to foster the ability of the staff to meet patient and family needs rather than navigating complex systems within institution
16. Promotes a caring helpful environment including the arrangement of the physical setting and assembling equipment in a manner conducive to more effective and efficient patient care
17. Creates environment where patients and families are considered partners in care.
18. Assures structures and processes are established to ensure a safe work environment.
19. Plans, promotes, and conducts quality monitoring and enhancement activities; Actively involved in advancing clinical outcomes and quality improvements within the framework of the CHI St. Luke's Performance Improvement Plan.
20. Collaborates with other disciplines in the monitoring, evaluation and enhancement of the facility wide continuous quality enhancement program; Develops, Directs, and monitors the effects of patient care redesign programs
21. Creates effective and ongoing programs to monitor, evaluate, and improve the quality of care and services
22. Utilizes analysis of outcomes, processes, and nursing-sensitive indicators to evaluate the adequacy of the annual staffing plan, to drive improvement and to demonstrate successes and opportunities for nursing.
23. Identifies key quality indicators to be monitored and evaluated. Uses benchmark data from internal and external sources to identify opportunities for improvement.
24. Provides for the development and management of operating and capital budgets for patient care areas; Responsible for overall performance according to budget
25. Directs creative strategies to lower costs while maintaining or enhancing quality
26. Develops monitoring systems to provide accurate and timely assessment of performance according to budget
27. Assists in contract negotiation and administration for contracted services
28. Develops patient and family focused collegial relationships with all members of the health care team and all departments in the hospital.
29. Demonstrates and creates expectation of consistency in application of human resource policies an