Office of Sponsored Programs, Post-Award Administrator
Wake Forest Baptist Health
February 12, 2018
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Under general supervision, act as a liaison for Office of Sponsored Programs with the departments and extramural funding agencies. Duties may include assistance with contract and grant applications; provide support in the accounting and management functions of restricted funds; knowledge of multiple funding agency guidelines, including federal, state, private foundations and associations.
Education / Experience:
Bachelor's degree in business, law, accounting or related field of study and one year experience in grant accounting, research administration, grant/contract application and review/negotiation and/or paralegal experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience with fund accounting preferred. Knowledge of PeopleSoft and/or InfoEd preferred.
1. Facilitate grant and/or contract submission by providing training and guidance to faculty members and department administrators. This includes review of proposal submissions for completeness, adherence to sponsor and institutional requirements, and appropriateness of information.
2. Develop a working knowledge and understanding of institutional cost policies and multiple funding agency guidelines including federal, state, private foundations, associations.
3. Coordinate negotiation correspondence with management prior to transmittal or contact. Review and recommend approval of draft negotiation correspondences associated with basic research agreements.
4. Provide financial review to verify appropriate institutional expenses and fees are included in budgets and payment terms that will ensure receipt of the full awarded amount. Assist with development and negotiation of budget and payment terms as requested.
5. Develop, review, analyze, and negotiate research-related grants and/or contracts, ensuring compliance with all current regulatory, legal, fiscal, and institutional requirements and policies.
6. Consult with institutional management and/or Legal Department, as appropriate relevant to contract language, financial, and post-execution issues.
7. Provide consultation and guidance to investigators, research personnel, and other individuals, both internal and external, regarding fiscal, regulatory, and legal requirements and policies governing research grants and/or contracts entered into by the institution.
8. Responsible for updating and maintaining the chartfield in the financial system, from setup through closeout, and organizing information both online and in the chartfield folder. . Read and interpret awards, with guidance, to identify potential issues.
9. Analyze, review, and approve chartfield expenses to ensure compliance with all sponsor and institutional requirements and policies. Prepare invoices and financial reports as indicated by the award notice. Develop a knowledge and understanding of relevant modules in the Financial and HR system and how to effectively use them for chartfield management.
10. Develop a solid working relationship with designated departmental personnel; respond to inquiries and assist in understanding financial reports; provide guidance on related policies and procedures of the Medical School. Assist in obtaining additional paperwork for charges such as re-budgeting and justifications; revised budgets, revised scopes of work, etc. Review guidelines, maintain organization, and understand priorities to ensure deadlines are met.
11. Develop an understanding of effort reporting and its relation to the approval of certain payroll requests. Review effort changes and question department personnel regarding accuracy and appropriateness when needed.
12. Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Skills & Qualifications:
Analytical and independent decision-making skills with high attention to detail
Strong planning and organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple priorities
Ability to understand, interpret and apply laws, regulations, and policies to the maintenance of financial records
Ability to learn and improve how to compose business contract terms and language and negotiation skills
Excellent computer and software skills including, but not limited to, Excel