POSITION OVERVIEW: HSS pursues relationships with organizations throughout the world that are dedicated to high-quality patient care, academic excellence, and cutting-edge research. Partnerships and initiatives may be academic, clinical, research-based, operational, and organizational, as well as administrative, or a combination of any of these focus areas. Depending on the circumstances, HSS also provides training and education of physicians in their homeland or in the U.S. HSS currently has global partnerships in education and training, humanitarian work, and business development in numerous countries around the world.
HSS is now seeking a VP, Global Affairs to oversee international strategic initiatives supporting the HSS mission. The VP will report directly to the Senior Vice President, Global and Academic Affairs.
The Vice President will have direct responsibility for the Department of Global Academic Partnerships, the International Center, humanitarian efforts, and global business development. These departments span areas that include knowledge-transfer initiatives, patient care at HSS, and strategic partnerships with international academic centers and hospital systems, as well as private business entities.
S/he will have fiscal accountability and responsibility for staff development, management, and staff performance.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Be knowledgeable about the global environment as it relates to healthcare leadership and all current HSS global activities; strategize on ways to leverage existing relationships and create new revenue streams.
• Develop a business plan for growth in the International Center that is aligned with the hospital’s mission.
• Develop programs and corresponding financial models for new global relationships; generate proposals to develop new business opportunities; determine resources required for new opportunities.
• Explore opportunities to further develop HSS’s international reputation and brand; market HSS partnerships globally; oversee the development of branded materials for all global initiatives.
• Lead contractual agreements with international partners and deliver on contractual obligations.
• Provide superior customer service to all constituencies.
• Provide global partners with status reports on a timely basis.
• Develop an internal communication plan for engagement and onboarding of HSS staff and faculty involved in global initiatives.
• Using knowledge of pricing and financial modeling, manage program and department budgets.
• Provide leadership for department and staff using sound performance management principles to establish a team-based culture in which employees feel valued and are motivated and highly engaged.
• A professional with significant management/leadership experience (minimum 8-plus years) in healthcare is required. General experience in academic, multi-specialty institutions, with some knowledge of orthopedics, is highly desirable.
• Previous global experience required. Fluency in foreign language(s) is a plus.
• Partnering, negotiating, and contracting skills in all sectors of business, academia, government, and NGOs.
• Broad-based business sense, with strategic insight and proven success in creating business strategies and implementing them to achieve goals. Strong financial planning and accountability.
• Outstanding interpersonal and relationship management skills; demonstrated success at cultivating good working relationships for/with C-suite and Boards, as well as with government officials and physicians.
• Excellent leadership skills and experience managing a department through well-established performance management skills. Proven success in developing a high-performance work environment and culture with a highly diverse workforce.
• Outstanding written and oral communication skills; ability to communicate and influence a variety of people and audiences. (Writing/presentation samples will be required.)
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
Additional Salary Information: Competitive salary and excellent benefits package
Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS) was founded in 1863 and is recognized as a world leader in musculoskeletal medicine. Though located in New York City, HSS treats patients from throughout the New York City Metropolitan Area, New York State, the United States, and over 90 countries who seek its internationally recognized specialized care. HSS has 215 beds and 36 operating rooms and performs more t...han 31,000 surgeries per year. In addition, it handles more than 400,000 non-surgical outpatient visits annually. It is an affiliate of the New York-Presbyterian Healthcare System and Weill Cornell Medical College. It has one of the most sought-after residency programs and its graduates hold prominent positions in hospitals throughout the country.