CUHCC’s mission is transforming care and education to advance health equity. The clinic is known for providing high quality care to diverse patients and is moving forward in improving timely access to care for patients. This position will focus on several areas of the billing and collections department including reoccurring and ad hoc reporting, all insurance collections functions for medical, dental and mental health. A complete understanding of proper and timely billing. This position will also work as a resource for patients, providers, interpreters and clinic staff within the billing department for medical, dental and mental health. This position will cross-train with Cash Applications, Credits, Documentation and Billing Leadership. This position will supervise a team of 3 staff members.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Position overview and functions may change as position develops
1) Supervisory (40%): a) Supervise 3 staff members b) Responsibilities include: i) Hiring including job description write-up and posting, resume review, interviewing candidates and extending offers to candidates ii) Training includes new hire training of systems, policies and procedures and job functions/responsibilities. Training will also include any new or updated department processes as well as re-training in specific areas of need. iii) Coaching includes working one-on-one with staff members in regards to understanding and performing job functions, expectations and responsibilities including accountability iv) Productivity tracking of employees v) Performance Evaluations to be performed annually as well as during probation period of new hires vi) Disciplinary Actions include verbal and written warnings, consistent follow-up and follow-through with employee and/or up to termination
2) Insurance Collections: (20%) a) Working knowledge of medical, dental and mental health claim benefits, submission and reimbursement rules and guidelines b) Understanding of government program guidelines on claims submissions and reimbursement c) Responsible for management of all insurance collections for medical, dental and mental health d) Responsible for management of Accounts Receivables projects to include creation, delegation, tracking and performance of team members e) Responsible for escalated issues with insurance company to completion as identified by staff or management f) Effectively and professionally resolve claim issues with insurance companies by phone, website, email, mail and fax g) Responsible for timely review and resolution of denials from insurance companies h) Follow timely filing limits with each insurance company to ensure zero bad debt claims due to timely filing or timely follow-up i) Understanding of coordination of benefits between primary and secondary payers j) Review and post all changes batches from team members or leadership
3) Other Job Duties (20%): a) Credit Card transaction management including but not limited to credit card compliance and annual classes b) Collections management of patient balance to outside collections agency c) Team up with Billing team leadership to manage dental supply cost estimates, sliding fee scales, fee schedule updates, Provider set up, billing tables d) Responsible for quarterly Medicare payment verification process including verifying accurate and proper payment received from Medicare parts A and B e) Cross-train with the Cash Applications/Credit/Documentation and Billing team leadership f) Patient Statements weekly run along with researching exception files produced from bad addresses prior to next statement run g) Hold and/or attend meetings with staff and leadership regularly h) Team members will be in the billing phone queue as well as in the rotation for the clinic billing office i) Provide patients, providers and clinic staff with explanation of account balances, payment history and insurance coverage as related to medical, dental and mental health departments
4) Projects/Ad Hoc Reporting: (15%) a) Required Intermediate to Advanced experience with Microsoft Access creating tables and queries to create and maintain reporting needs for Billing and Finance b) Ad hoc reporting utilizing system reports, Access and Excel c) Ad hoc reporting is needed to review various information within the system as needed for grant and fund research and reporting requirements
5) Other duties as assigned: (5%)
A negative TB test is required for this position.
All required qualifications must be documented on application materials.
Required Qualifications: 1. BA/BS or a combination of related education and work experience to equal four years. Experience should be within a health plan, managed care organization or other healthcare entity. 2. Intermediate to Advanced skill level in Microsoft Access and Excel 3. Strong analytical skills 4. Strong attention to detail 5. Demonstrated ability to multi-task, organize tasks and prioritize including follow through on issues and projects timely and until resolved 6. Demonstrated high-level oral and written communication skills to work with patients, staff, providers and insurance companies 7. Demonstrated excellent customer service skills 8. Demonstrated ability to work with patients and staff from diverse cultures, languages and backgrounds 9. Demonstrated capacity to work on a team and make positive contributions to the team 10. Demonstrated ability to identify issues, report and work with manager to resolve 11. Knowledge of insurance verification, COB, billing practices and insurance collections 12. Knowledge of HIPAA 837P, 835P NCPDP file format and related Minnesota Uniform Companion Guidelines.
Preferred Qualifications: 1. Post-secondary education in business or healthcare 2. Fluency in one of CUHCC’s predominant patient languages (Spanish, Somali, Vietnamese, Lao, Hmong) 3. Knowledge of Federally Qualified Health Care Center (FQHC) 4. Experience with System Conversion 5. Experience with Project Management 6. 2 years of experience in supervising a department/unit
The University of Minnesota, founded in the belief that all people are enriched by understanding, is dedicated to the advancement of learning and the search for truth; to the sharing of this knowledge through education for a diverse community; and to the application of this knowledge to benefit the people of the state, the nation, and the world.