Union Level: Department: Provost Campus: Stockton Posting Number: 201301337P Full or Part Time: Full Time Number of Months: 12 Work Schedule: Work performed during standard business hours with late hours for production system changes. May require working nights, weekends and holidays. Position End Date: Open Date: 05/08/2018 Close Date: Open Until Filled: Yes Special Instructions:
Primary Purpose: Responsible for a high level of technical support to the University community including requirements gathering, design, installation, configuration, troubleshooting, upgrading and maintaining networking, telecommunications and related computer systems. Generates documentation on how to utilize the systems, provides written technical resolutions in a central knowledge base, and assists in the development of technical standards for networking and telecommunications systems. In addition to support of daily operations, this position includes vendor and customer interactions in the evaluation, technical design and implementation of projects that advance the state of the University's data, voice and video networking infrastructure. This position is responsible for second-level network support for the Helpdesk.
Essential Functions: 1. Explores, identifies, evaluates, enables, and promotes existing and emerging networking and telecommunications services.
2. Acquires, oversees installation, configures, maintains and troubleshoots the Universitys data and voice infrastructure and is primary backup for PBX, voicemail, call accounting and other voice related systems. Assists with management of network performance by periodically base-lining capacity and performance and projecting resource usage.
3. Defines, plans, schedules and coordinates moves, adds or changes.
4. Serves as a senior level technical support to the distributed and central technical service providers.
5. Performs high-level technical analysis for projects requiring network and telecommunications connectivity, including security and wireless.
6. Advise, consult, and provide services in the design, creation, and delivery of building data and voice infrastructure.
7. Provides high level of customer service and satisfaction to the University community in resolving complex issues with a broad range of technology systems.
8. Coordinates single/multiple vendor interactions on projects.
9. Excellent customer service skills with the ability to communicate with a diverse group of customers, having differing levels of technical expertise, with patience and empathy, fostering trust.
10. Effectively communicates project expectations to team members, stakeholders in a clear and timely fashion and coordinates resources to ensure successful implementation.
11. Serve as project technical lead through: a. Planning and scheduling project timelines and milestones. b. Estimating the resources and participants needed to achieve project goals. c. Developing and delivering progress reports, proposals, requirement documentation, technical training sessions, and presentations. d. Conducting project post mortems and creating recommendation reports in order to identify key project elements and improve future projects.
12. Produce and continue improvement of networking/telecommunications documents including: asset inventory, LAN/WAN diagrams, SOPs, and training materials.
13. Identifies, analyzes and resolves network problems through the use of a variety of monitoring tools.
14. Maintain and upgrades networking and telecommunications hardware and software.
15. Read architectural plans.
16. Prepare proposals and designs for networking and telecommunications projects.
17. Deliver customer and IT partner Networking/Telecommunications technology end-user/administrator training.
18. Lead technical peer review.
19. Log support requests and issues reported into a central database and maintain their updates.
20. Generate reports and analyze trends in issues and contribute to the design and implementation of permanent resolution to issues.
21. Attends technical training and performs technical research to enhance planning, deployment and operation of appropriate network components.
22. Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
High school diploma and 60+ credit hours of continuing education required.
Four (4) years of directly applicable networking/telecommunications experience.
Experience with administering Cisco ASA or Palo Alto Firewall.
Bachelors Degree preferred. A combination of education, Cisco and Microsoft certifications and/or experience is acceptable.
Ability to support processes and software in a multi-vendor environment with limited supervision.
Experience with administering a NAC.
Experience with administering Cisco wireless infrastructure.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative but not definitive of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Primarily office setting, AV closets and /or data center with exposure to noise and cooler temperatures. Constant sitting and computer usage, frequent walking and standing required. May require occasional bending, stooping, and squatting. Simple grasping, frequent use of computer keyboard. Proper use of hand tools. Ability to lift up to 50lbs.
Work Environment/Work Week/Travel: Work performed during standard business hours with late hours for production system changes. May require working nights, weekends and holidays.
Valid drivers license. Incumbent must also be able to meet the Universitys fleet rules and be eligible to drive for University business. The University and its insurance carrier reserves the right to exclude applicants based on their driving record.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience, non-exempt
Background Check Statement: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must pass a criminal background check.
AA/EEO Policy Statement: University of the Pacific is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity. In compliance with applicable law and its own policy, Pacific is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff and does not discriminate in its hiring of faculty and staff, or in the provision of its employment benefits to its faculty and staff on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sex/gender, marital status, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, or mental or physical disability.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
University of the Pacific is a nationally ranked university with a long tradition of dedicated teaching, small class sizes, practical experience and vibrant residential life. The breathtaking main campus in Stockton, California is home to seven schools and colleges, with more than 80 majors and programs of study. Pacific also has the McGeorge School of Law in Sacramento and the Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry in San Francisco. Total university enrollment is nearly 7,000, with 3,757 undergraduates in an average class size of 19 and a student/faculty ratio of 14:1. Eighty-seven percent of students come from California, with 35 other states and 25 foreign countries also represented. Explore University of the Pacific www.pacific.edu