Responsible for the overall instruction and training of student-athletes under NCAA operating bylaws, including the recruitment of new student-athletes, strength and conditioning, ongoing assessment of student-athlete abilities, and academic advising. Ensure compliance with and uphold NCAA rules and guidelines and complete all necessary documentation. Hire, train, and supervise Assistant Coach positions. Aspire to compete at the highest national levels. Support successful educational, social, physical and spiritual development of student-athletes.
1. Directs all aspects, areas and components of the sports team.
2. Develop and oversee all aspects of the budget for the specific sports program.
3. Develop game/practice plans and communicate both verbally and in writing with current and potential students on various academic and social issues, etc. Provide verbal and written instruction to student-athletes on sport-specific skills and game-related tactics in one-on-one, small group, and large group sessions (i.e., during games, on-field practices and video review sessions). Comply with and uphold NCAA rules and guidelines and complete all necessary documentation.
4. Within guidelines issued by the athletic department, the Big East Conference, and the NCAA, perform work related to the recruitment and retention of student-athletes. Assess the abilities of potential student-athletes both in person and based on recommendations made by Assistant Coach seeking acceptance to the College. Such work requires exercise of independent judgment in scouting potential student-athletes.
5. Assess student-athletes’ ability to effectively apply sport-specific skills and game-related tactics in game or practice situations subsequent to instruction by head or assistant coach(es).
6. Oversee the development, implementation, and monitoring of a conditioning program for student athletes. Counsel injured student-athletes and assist in and monitor their recovery.
7. Represent sports program to various institutional programs and externally to media, government agencies, students, parents and the general public.
8. Initiate fundraising efforts and public relation initiatives through contact with alumni and parents of student-athletes
1. Maintain a working knowledge of “best practices” in regard to sport-specific skills, game related tactics, and physical fitness concepts through attendance at coaching seminars and from instructional materials, both written and video.
2. Perform all other duties as may be required
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
• Bachelor’s Degree in related field from an accredited institution required • Significant intercollegiate playing and coaching experience in sport required • Excellent oral and written communication skills required • First aid and CPR Certification preferred
• Sitting in a normal seated position for extended periods of time • Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction • Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers rather than with whole hand(s) or arm(s), for example, using a keyboard • Communication skills using the spoken word • Ability to see within normal parameters • Ability to hear within normal range • Ability to move about
About Providence College
What We ValueProvidence College, a primarily undergraduate, liberal arts, Catholic institution of higher education conducted under the auspices of the Dominican Friars, seeks candidates who can affirm and contribute to its mission. The College is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive environment that supports all of its students, faculty, and staff. All members of the community share a responsibility for creating, maintaining, and developing a learning experience valuing differences and practicing inclusion. We invite applications from qualified individuals who possess the experience, knowledge, and commitment to work within a diverse learning environment. Women and minority candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Providence College is an equal opportunity employer.