The Law School seeks a dynamic individual with leadership experience to direct the Career Services Department. Ideally, candidates will have experience in and knowledge of the Portland legal community. Alumni of the Law School are encouraged to apply.
Responsible for the decisions regarding the planning, development, organization, and implementation of all phases of career planning and placement programs for law school students and alumni. Directs the Law School’s efforts in career planning and placement.
Lewis & Clark College is committed to achieving a diverse workforce. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status, such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status or age.
The College explicitly acknowledges and affirms its conviction that diversity with respect to race, ethnicity, national origin, socio-economic background, religious orientation or spirituality, physical or sensory disability, gender, and sexual orientation on the Lewis & Clark campus provides an educational benefit for all students that can be realized only if students and education professionals from diverse backgrounds are present in significant numbers within our learning community. In creating and sustaining such a community, we engage, to the extent possible, in practices that will ensure a high degree of diversity on our campus, simultaneously meeting the highest standards of academic excellence of which we are capable.
1) Strategic Planning – Develops and implements strategies to increase employment opportunities, including ways to market the Law School and its student and alumni effectively. Establishes and implements short and long-range organizational goals, objectives, strategic plans, policies, and operating procedures to meet student career planning and placement needs; monitors and evaluates programmatic effectiveness, and effects changes required for improvement.
2) Advising/Consultation – Coaches students and alumni on all aspects of developing and managing their careers. Provides guidance, support, encouragement, accountability, and expertise on the job search process. Reviews resumes, cover letters, and other job application materials.
3) Management – Supervises three full-time staff; oversees staff in carrying out implementation of various career-focused programs. Provides coaching, sets goals, and monitors development of staff.
4) Budget – Responsible for the departmental budget including decisions regarding expenditures of allocated funds.
5) Operational – Determines the statistical data to be collected by the office, and the format and contents of reports; oversees the collection and creation of reports for statistical data. Provides information regarding employment outcomes and hiring trends to the administration and faculty and participates with the senior administrative team of the law school in coordinating the delivery of student services.Establishes career planning and placement policies and assures compliance with all governing bodies, including federal, state and local regulations, the ABA, NALP and AALS.
6) Partnerships – Acts as a liaison to the legal community and bar organizations speaking on career planning and placement issues and represents the school at professional meetings.
7) Ability to honor and work with all identities and individuals, particularly those who are underrepresented in the country and/or at Lewis & Clark College.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• 3 years of post degree related job experience
• Knowledge and understanding of the legal market, legal-related careers, legal recruiting, and the legal profession in general.
• Excellent communication and public relations skills.
• Supervisory and office management skills.
• Ability to effectively make decisions and solve problems.
• 5 years of career advising or law practice
Internal Number: STA20110698
About Lewis & Clark College
Lewis and Clark is a private institution with a public conscience, a residential campus with global reach. Students and faculty throughout all three of Lewis & Clark’s schools—the College of Arts and Sciences, the Graduate School of Education and Counseling, and the Law School—pursue new ways of knowing by combining classic liberal learning with pioneering collaboration. Located in Portland, Oregon, the student experience is enhanced by the inspiring beauty of the college's natural setting on 137 wooded acres in Portland’s southwest hills.