Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Morgan Stanley's Glasgow office employs in excess of 1,300 staff across Operations, Technology, Legal and Compliance, Internal Audit, Fund Services and Finance. Due to our growing business, we have a demand for career minded people to join our teams. Our opportunities offer unrivalled scope for progression and training within a fast paced, meritocratic and constantly changing environment. Morgan Stanley pride themselves on maintaining a culture which champions diversity, an inclusive environment for all, recognition and an opportunity to give back to our communities through various local charity partnerships. The office is located centrally and enjoys the additional benefits of an onsite gym and restaurant.
The Finance Division globally reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 3,000 employees worldwide. Finance protects the Morgan Stanley franchise by serving as guardian of the Firm's books and records, and by contributing to firm wide risk management and risk reduction. This division maintains relationships with Morgan Stanley's various industry and government regulators, and also serves as the conduit of financial information to the outside investment community. Finance plays a critical role as advisor to Morgan Stanley's various businesses and its senior management team.
The Glasgow Finance team is over 220 strong and spans a wide range of functions including: Product Control; Market Risk Control; Liquidity Control; Treasury Currency Management; Compensation Control; Tax; Legal Entity Control and Governance; Accounting Advisory Services; General Ledger Governance; Regulatory Reporting and Finance Risk. The variety and scope of our opportunities across all levels allows our employees to enjoy fulfilling and challenging long-term careers. In order to maintain this we require finance professionals of all levels, both qualified and non-qualified, who are committed to working in a challenging and ever evolving industry. For non-qualified candidates we actively support a number of professional qualifications.
The EMEA Tax Department is responsible for all direct tax returns and audits in the EMEA region together with involvement in internal restructures, Firm acquisitions and Business Unit structures that are on the Firm's Balance Sheet. In addition, the Department is also responsible for EMEA Indirect Tax, Tax Advisory and US Tax Reporting.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a highly talented and motivated Global tax team with offices in London, Glasgow and Budapest. A Tax Risk Lead is required to manage the new EMEA Tax Risk Team, reporting the Head of Glasgow Tax, supporting the EMEA Tax Department's risk and control framework. This role links all aspects of risk with high profile project deliverables across the EMEA Tax Department. In addition to recurring deliverables, the successful candidate will have the chance to utilise a wide range of skills and work on multiple initiatives.
The successful candidate will work closely with all levels of the EMEA Tax Department team, including Executive and Managing Directors, establishing risk appetite and ultimately providing independent assurance of the adequacy and effectiveness of risks, controls and processes.
Whilst based in Glasgow, this role has responsibilities across EMEA which presents a unique opportunity to build networks across Tax and Finance.
- One direct report
- Promoting awareness of Risk Management within EMEA Tax
- Reviewing consistency of risk management across all areas of EMEA Tax
- Managing, reviewing and presentation of the monthly risk and reporting metrics for Tax to Senior Management
- Presentation at monthly Risk & Control meeting with senior management, briefing the team on recent Operational Risk incidents, risk trending analysis
- Attending the monthly Glasgow Finance Risk meeting providing details of current Risk incidents and pipe-line issues
- Managing the implementation of new controls and processes across all areas of Tax to ensure compliance with local Tax authority standards and reduce overall risk ratings
- Assisting colleagues with managing the annual Risk & Control Self-Assessment (RCSA). This includes training employees on the process and ensuring the various business lines within the department approach the assessment in standardized, cohesive manner
- Managing the Business Continuity Plan (BCP) for Glasgow Tax and partner with colleagues in other tax locations, to implement a cohesive BCP strategy for the EMEA Tax Department
- Preparation of management reporting required by EMEA Finance
- Identify opportunities across Tax Department for risk reduction and embed control solutions
- Collate and review Senior Accounting Officer certification documentation working with Senior Risk Teams in Finance
- Qualified ACCA/CIMA/CA accountant
- Experience of managing and developing a team
- Have strong communication skills, with a proven track record of managing communications with senior stakeholders
- Have the ability to manage and prioritize multiple streams of work
- Have strong analytical skills with a control focus and high regard to attention to detail
- Be able to demonstrate strong risk and control awareness
- Have the ability to work autonomously
- Have a proven track record of developing and improving reporting and processes
- Be adept at working in a fast-paced, high-energy level environment
- Be proficient with Microsoft Office
- A tax background would be preferred, but is not required
- Must have the ability to think critically and self-review
- Should challenge accepted processes, and suggest alternative solutions
- Self-motivated, with a desire to succeed and develop professionally and personally
- Ability to multi-task in fast-paced environment and be a team player
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents. *LI-EM3