Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Morgan Stanley's Glasgow office employs in excess of 1,300 staff across Operations, Technology, Legal and Compliance, Internal Audit, Fund Services and Finance. Due to our growing business, we have a demand for career minded people to join our teams. Our opportunities offer unrivalled scope for progression and training within a fast paced, meritocratic and constantly changing environment. Morgan Stanley pride themselves on maintaining a culture which champions diversity, an inclusive environment for all, recognition and an opportunity to give back to our communities through various local charity partnerships. The office is located centrally and enjoys the additional benefits of an onsite gym and restaurant
The Finance Division globally reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 3,000 employees worldwide. Finance protects the Morgan Stanley franchise by serving as guardian of the Firm's books and records, and by contributing to firm wide risk management and risk reduction. This division maintains relationships with Morgan Stanley's various industry and government regulators, and also serves as the conduit of financial information to the outside investment community. Finance plays a critical role as advisor to Morgan Stanley's various businesses and its senior management team.
The Glasgow Finance team is over 220 strong and spans a wide range of functions including: Product Control; Market Risk Control; Liquidity Control; Treasury Currency Management; Compensation Control; Tax; Legal Entity Control and Governance; Accounting Advisory Services; General Ledger Governance; Regulatory Reporting and Finance Risk. The variety and scope of our opportunities across all levels allows our employees to enjoy fulfilling and challenging long-term careers. In order to maintain this we require finance professionals of all levels, both qualified and non-qualified, who are committed to working in a challenging and ever evolving industry. For non-qualified candidates we actively support a number of professional qualifications.
The role is in the Finance Division's EMEA Legal Entity Governance Office (LEGO). LEGO is responsible for managing the legal entity governance framework to ensure appropriate risk-based coverage for the Firm's global legal entity population. LEGO's responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Legal entity population management (new entity approval, rationalisation, legal entity closure)
- Legal entity data governance and supervision
- Legal entity management reporting
- Stakeholder management
This role will focus on governance workstreams associated with the Firm's global consolidated and non-consolidated legal entity populations. These entities require monitoring in order to support structure changes within the Firm, and to meet regulatory and internal reporting requirements.
Legal entity population management:
- Oversee the processes, risks, and controls within the consolidated legal entity lifecycle. This includes new entity approval, risk profile of the legal entity population, legal entity lifecycle strategy and legal entity closures
- Ensure completeness of purpose type information for the non-consolidated legal entity population
Legal entity data governance and supervision:
- Facilitate completion of monthly reconciliations and data attestations
- As required, work with data owners to identify responsibility for the investigation and resolution of data inconsistencies between systems
- Provide reporting to the Reference Data Governance Working Group
- Support the focuses of the LEXI Working Group
Legal entity management reporting:
- Produce management information and metrics to provide assurance for legal entity governance
- Deliver the above through working effectively with key global and regional stakeholders
The successful candidate will also assist with ad hoc queries and initiatives as required.
- Candidates for the role should be full or part-qualified (CA, CIMA, ACCA). Candidates with an Accounting/Finance/Mathematical degree and relevant experience in a risk and control environment will also be considered
- Excellent Microsoft Excel skills and proficiency in data mining and summarising and presenting themes and results in a meaningful format
- Experience in managing direct reports
- Keen and motivated to work hard and achieve
- Shows a willingness to learn from others and increase own knowledge base
- Takes responsibility for own tasks and proactively looks for opportunities to increase responsibility
Problem Solving & Judgment
- Demonstrates the ability to identify and analyse situations through gathering relevant information to understand the root cause
- Determines the potential impact and implications of issues and takes appropriate action to avoid future recurrences
- Knows when it is appropriate to resolve matters and offer solutions themselves and when it is critical to escalate to others
- Able to explain issues and ideas succinctly, using appropriate mediums and language, to ensure others understand
- Ensures that the relevant people are kept informed
Building & Maintaining Relationships
- Awareness of other people and environment and own impact on these
- Responds appropriately to others to build and maintain an effective network of contacts
- Goes extra mile to ensure needs of others are addressed to highest possible standard
Commitment to Excellence
- Consistently shows concern for all areas no matter how small
- Ensures tasks are always completed accurately, without exception
- Checks, verifies and reconciles information to ensure no mistakes are made and work is completed to the highest possible standard
Planning & Organising
- Able to quickly and accurately establish priorities
- Plans own and others time to meet tight deadlines and is flexible when priorities change
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents. *LI-EM3