· The Patient Financial Advocate serves to help all patients--especially those who are uninsured, underinsured, and have low incomes--assess and ultimately resolve their financial situations.
· This includes providing an estimated cost for services, establishing payment plans and other financial arrangements, determining patients' eligibility for hospital-sponsored charity care and external financial assistance, and collecting patients' remaining estimated balances at point of service.
· All communications are conducted in a manner that will result in positive patient relations and prompt reimbursement for the services provided by Lakeland Health.
· Associate degree in Business, Finance, Accounting or related field or 3 years appropriate work experience (patient accounting, financial counseling, or medical billing) that would indicate a high level of customer service, communication skills, and organizational ability.
· Certified Application Counselor (CAC) through Health Insurance Exchange – Obtain within 1 st year of hire and maintain on-going certification.
· 2 – 3 years of related work experience required, preferably in healthcare or customer service environment
· Familiarity with statutes and regulations that impact collection of past due accounts.
· Broad knowledge of government assistance programs, guidelines, and application procedures.
· Strong computer skills, including but not limited to Microsoft ® Word and Excel
· Data entry, typing, filing and organization skills required.
· Ability to work extended hours beyond normal work schedule to include, but not limited to, evenings, weekends, extended shifts and/or extra shifts, various locations, sometimes on short notice.
Internal Number: 104439
About Lakeland Health
If you’re passionate about helping others and value teamwork, treating people with respect, being accountable, inspiring others, trust, and keeping your patients and colleagues safe, then we invite you to explore our many career opportunities. Lakeland Health, southwest Michigan’s largest employer, has been named in the nation’s 100 Top Hospitals® by Truven Health Analytics and received many other awards for quality outcomes, excellent map-michigan value, and patient care. Learn more by visiting About Lakeland.