Associate Director, International Student Services
University of Texas at Dallas
September 13, 2018
Commensurate with experience
Full Time - Experienced
4 Year Degree
Summary: This position is responsible for serving three prime functions: (1) Oversight of institutional compliance with federal immigration regulations and requirements, including SEVIS reporting (2) Management of student immigration processing functions, including Sunapsis user application configuration, and business process mapping. (3) Responsible as second after the director to provide administrative functions including hiring, budgeting, strategic planning, goal setting, risk assessments, quality control, etc. Representing ISSO at administrative meetings and on committees and boards.
Detailed Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Manage Institutional SEVIS Compliance (F Student Program) Responsible for institutional SEVIS compliance. Duties include, but are not limited to, • Serve as UTDPDSO including I-17 annual review, review of programs and all I-17 fields and lead for recertification process • Train and provide oversight to International Student Advisors in managing SEVIS compliance • Provide new advisor training and ad hoc trainings for team • Manage SEVIS related immigration communication campaigns including content, accuracy of distributions, timing, execution of events, etc • Communicate with US DHS, FBI, etc per SEVIS requirements • Ensure data integrity between systems • Run data integrity audits & take action as necessary • Maintain data elements in software in response to internal or external changes • Recommend procedural changes within system to improve efficiencies or reflect changes in immigration regulations
- Manage Student Immigration Processing Functions • Identify and implementing policy and process improvements • Work with Systems Analyst to configure/reconfigure Sunapsis application based on changes in business processes, and technical updates. • Ensure forms and eforms are professional, understandable & updated within 12 months • Ensure processing functions are clear and efficient. Propose and implement changes as necessary. • Determine student needs and taking appropriate actions for the team to meet them
- Supervision & Staff Development Shared supervisory responsibility for team of International Student Advisor staff; direct supervisory responsibility for some within the team. Assist/mentor the Senior Advisor with supervision of immigration team student employees. Duties include, but are not limited to: • Interviewing and recommending hiring • Scheduling and determining training needs • Provide oversight and feedback • Evaluate quality and quantity of work • Initiate performance improvement and disciplinary actions • Recommend pay increases and participate in performance evaluations • Time sheet review and sign off, Sick/Vacation requests
- Leadership Collaboration • Collaborate with other Assistant Director & Director on ISSO processing, advising, staff development & training, and SEVIS compliance for both F & J programs. – —-Participate in strategic planning for unit. • Participate in technology project management regarding upgrades, testing and launching new tech services. • Outreach to department heads, especially related to new programs, & education regarding immigration related requirements specific to that department. • Build relationships with key campus stakeholders to benefit students.
- Direct Customer Service Handle escalated student or staff complaints that come to the ISSO through daily advising and processing functions. Make discretionary decisions on how to address ad-hoc customer requests.
- Responsible as second after the director to provide administrative functions including hiring, budgeting, strategic planning, goal setting, risk assessments, quality control, etc. Representing ISSO at administrative meetings and on committees and boards.
Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in a related field; 3-5 years related professional experience; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
Preferred Education and Experience:
Master’s Degree (Preferably in Sociology, Criminology, Political Science, Government, Education, Business, Law) or Jurisprudence Doctorate
Experience as the Primary Designated School Official (PDSO)
5-7 years of experience in/with the following: - Experience in international student advising/DSO status (F-1 students) - Experience supervising student staff or full time/part time staff - Experience with SEVIS reporting and compliance functions - Experience in administrative decision making
About University of Texas at Dallas
The University of Texas at Dallas is a Carnegie R1 classification (Doctoral Universities – Highest research activity) institution, located in a suburban setting 20 miles north of downtown Dallas. The University enrolls more than 27,600 students — 18,380 undergraduate and 9,250 graduate —and offers a broad array of bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degree programs.
Established by Eugene McDermott, J. Erik Jonsson and Cecil Green, the founders of Texas Instruments, UT Dallas is a young institution driven by the entrepreneurial spirit of its founders and their commitment to academic excellence. In 1969, the public research institution joined The University of Texas System and became The University of Texas at Dallas.
A high-energy, nimble, innovative institution, UT Dallas offers top-ranked science, engineering and business programs and has gained prominence for a breadth of educational paths from audiology to arts and technology. UT Dallas’ faculty includes a Nobel laureate, six members of the National Academies and more than 560 tenured and tenure-track professors.