For nearly a century, residents of Waco and surrounding communities have put their faith and trust in one name to care for their health and wellbeing - Baylor Scott & White Medical Center - Hillcrest. It is a 236-bed medical center and the lead Trauma Facility for a 5-county region.
Reporting to the CNO, the Director of Surgical Services manages the following: Operating Room (10 rooms), PACU (7 beds), Ambulatory Surgery Center (4 rooms), Endoscopy (4 rooms), Pre-Assessment (16 beds), Day Surgery, and Sterile Processing. The Director of Surgical Services has responsibility for planning, selecting, and/or devising methods, policies and procedures for Managers and Staff employees to accomplish designated goals. Negotiate interdepartmental resources, communicates and plans with various cross-functional departments to ensure effective level of service to Nursing Units.
* Oversee the operational, personnel and fiscal management of assigned areas of responsibility with an emphasis on high quality, cost effective patient care.
* Monitor daily productivity, addressing variance from established standards and adjust staffing to maintain established productive standard.
* Establish annual unit-specific quality improvement goals, conduct monitoring, analysis, process changes, reporting and re-evaluation of prepared goals to Nursing Quality Council and Clinic Quality Council.
* Investigate adverse events, review data and findings, assessing for trends, acting on self-remediation needs and identify opportunities for development.
* Collaborate with non-nursing departments to establish processes and address issues which enhance the provision of patient care and satisfaction.
* Conduct and participate in daily rounds to identify immediate needs, monthly patient room rounds, monthly Environment of Care Rounds, Tracers, and Patient Safety Rounds, and acts on findings in a timely manner.
* Establish opportunities to acquire input, to include unit monthly Action Unit Committees, input at staff meetings and other creative mechanisms.
* Comply with requirements of regulatory, licensing, and accrediting agencies.
* Design measurements and tools to evaluate achievement and education strategies.
* Identify and clearly communicate communication gaps in staff knowledge and/or competency.
* Directs the effective management of financial, informational and personnel resources to ensure efficient operations and continuity of care.
PREFERRED CANDIDATE PROFILE
* Three to five years progressive nursing management experience
* Advanced certification (NEA-BC, CCRN, etc.)
* Experience expanding and building out a unit
* Strong people-management experience, ideally leading a team >90 FTEs
* Keen understanding of healthcare finance and operations
* Cardiac nursing background preferred, but not required
* Track record of promoting a Shared Governance model
* Master's Degree
* 5 years of experience
* RN License
Internal Number: 18013110
About Baylor Scott & White Health
Baylor Scott & White Health (BSWH) is the largest not-for-profit health care system in Texas and one of the largest in the United States. With a commitment to and a track record of innovation, collaboration, integrity and compassion for the patient, BSWH stands to be one of the nation’s exemplary health care organizations. Our mission is to serve all people by providing personalized health and wellness through exemplary care, education and research as a Christian ministry of healing. Joining our team is not just accepting a job, it’s accepting a calling!