Location: Livermore, CA Category: Post Docs Organization: Physical and Life Sciences Posting Requirement: External Posting Job ID: 104242 Job Code: Post-Dr Research Staff 1 (PDS.1) Date Posted: September 19 2018
Share this Job
Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have openings for Postdoctoral Research Staff Members to perform laser-driven dynamic compression experiments to unravel the properties of materials at high pressure and temperature in the High Energy Density (HED) regime. You will focus on the development of new methods to study phase transformations and the electronic structure of low-z materials and mixtures using ultrafast Doppler velocimetry and pyrometry as well as x-ray diffraction, with applications to the study of giant planets interiors and inertial confinement fusion research. This position is in the Dynamic Material Properties group, within the High Energy Density Physics Section of the Physics Division.
- Participate in the design and fielding of laser-driven dynamic compression experiments at the Omega and NIF Facilities to study the physical properties of matter at high density: equation of state, thermodynamics and kinetics of phase transformations, new states of matter such as superionic water. - Develop new experimental methods to prepare liquid and pre-compressed samples for dynamic compression experiments, using diamond-anvil-cells.
- Develop and implement new data analysis methods, models and computer algorithms to understand the properties of matter at extreme conditions of pressure and temperature. - Function as an independent researcher with a high level of attention to detail. - Document and publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Maintain professional and institutional visibility through participation in conferences. - Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent PhD in experimental physics or related field. - Knowledge and accomplishments in experimental condensed matter, static and/or dynamic compression science, high energy density physics, or laboratory astrophysics.
http://careers-llnl.ttcportals.com/jobs/3145077-postdoctoral-research-staff-member-high-energy-density-physics Page 1 of 2
Postdoctoral Research Staff Member - High Energy Density Physics in Livermore, CA - Careers at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory 10/29/18, 10)45 AM
- Ability to perform independent research, find innovative solutions and produce significant accomplishments to scientific and technical problems. - Experience working on a research team with individuals from diverse technical backgrounds, as well as function as an independent researcher with a high level of attention to details.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to work in a multidisciplinary team environment, author technical and scientific reports and publications and deliver scientific presentations.
- Documented publication record in peer-reviewed literature and presenting research results to a large audience.
- Understanding of condensed matter at high pressure and temperature using static and/or dynamic compression. - Experience with x-ray diffraction and/or optical diagnostics. - Experience developing new experimental techniques and/or algorithms required to understand matter in new regimes.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre- employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.
Note: This is a two-year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are recent PhDs within five years of the month of the degree award at time of hire date.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
You may also apply online at careers.llnl.gov
Internal Number: 104242
About Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Significant projects, breakthrough technology... It's all waiting for you at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. Here, our people develop and utilize the most cutting-edge technology in the country-if not the world. How do we do it? By encouraging and embracing a competition of ideas with respect for individual contributions and a workforce with diverse experiences, skills, and backgrounds. So join the ultimate scientific community, and discover your true career potential.