Location: Livermore, CA Category: Science & Engineering Organization: Weapons and Complex Integration Posting Requirement: External w/ US Citizenship Job ID: 103817 Job Code: Science & Engineering MTS 2 (SES.2)
Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have openings for exceptional physicists and engineers with backgrounds in fields such as plasma physics, radiation transport, atomic physics, nuclear physics, or hydrodynamics. Our national-security mission encompasses aspects of computational, theoretical, and experimental physics associated with the complex processes of nuclear explosives. Under limited direction, you will be responsible for advancing our understanding and developing methodologies for important national-security challenges. This position is in the Design Physics Division within the Weapons and Complex Integration Directorate (WCI).
- Assess the complex physics interactions that take place in nuclear explosion. - Design and provide analysis of experiments exploring the physics of nuclear explosives. - Simulate weapons phenomena and perform weapons assessment and certification tasks using physical models in computer codes. - Define and implement stockpile stewardship for specific weapons systems. - Present and disseminate research results at scientific conferences and in peer-reviewed publications, in both open and classified environments, internal and external to LLNL. - Develop expertise in interrelated fields of physics important to weapons assessment and certification. - Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in physics, engineering, or a related field or equivalent level of demonstrated knowledge. - Demonstrated record of completing outstanding research in relevant areas of physics and engineering. - Experience with computer-based design and analysis of experiments.
- Demonstrated aptitude for mastering new fields of physics; a record of creativity, physical insight, and breadth of understanding in applications of complex physical processes. - Experience in using advanced computational facilities for applied physics analysis and conducting applied physics research.
- Proficient verbal and written communication and presentation skills necessary to author technical and scientific reports, publications, invited papers, and to deliver scientific presentations.
- Experience working effectively independently and in a multidisciplinary, team-research environment. - Demonstrated self-motivation and initiative in addressing challenging problems.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
You may also apply at careers.llnl.gov
Internal Number: 103817
About Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Significant projects, breakthrough technology... It's all waiting for you at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. Here, our people develop and utilize the most cutting-edge technology in the country-if not the world. How do we do it? By encouraging and embracing a competition of ideas with respect for individual contributions and a workforce with diverse experiences, skills, and backgrounds. So join the ultimate scientific community, and discover your true career potential.