Discipline or Department: Nursing Science/Clinical Practice
Position Type: Staff/Classified
Hourly Rate or Monthly Salary: $35.51/hr
Working Hours: POSITION AVAILABLE: One regular, part-time position, 18 hours per week, 12 months per year on the Oceanside campus. The work schedule will be Tuesday & Friday, 10:00 am - 2:00 pm, and Wednesday & Thursday, 8:00 am - 1:00 pm. The days and times can be flexible. The person selected for this position will be subject to assignment to any district facility during any hours of operation.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Apply and submit application materials through MiraCosta College's online application system at https://jobs.miracosta.edu. Once you are in the system, we strongly advise you to read the information on 'How to Apply' and the FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) before starting the application process.
In order to be considered for this position, you must submit the following documents directly in the online system and finish applying and receive a confirmation number by 11:59 PM on the closing date:
1. Application for classified employment on which you list all relevant experience.
2. A cover letter addressed to the 'Screening and Interview Committee' specifically describing how you meet the desirable qualifications and the essential duties.
3. A current resume or curriculum vitae summarizing your educational background and experience.
4. Transcripts of college coursework which provide evidence of meeting the minimum qualifications as stated in this job posting. Unofficial or legible photocopies are acceptable. If a degree(s) was earned, the transcripts must state that the degree was awarded. Any degree/coursework used to satisfy the minimum qualifications must be from a postsecondary institution accredited by an accreditation agency recognized by either the U.S. Department of Education or the Council on Postsecondary Accreditation. If your degree(s) is from a college or university outside of the United States, you must submit a detailed evaluation from a professional evaluation agency. To view a list of agencies approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing, go to http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl635.pdf. Transcripts or translations in English still require the evaluation to show the U.S. equivalence of your degree.
NOTE: When you 'APPLY FOR THIS POSTING,' you will eventually be asked to answer the Supplemental Question listed below. Your answers will appear at the bottom of the application form.
- MiraCosta College is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. Describe your own commitment to diversity and how you will meet the minimum qualifications of 'sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability and ethnic background of community college students.'
The screening and interview committee will review application materials for up to four (4) weeks following the closing date. Applicants selected for interview will be contacted by phone; those not selected for interview will be notified by e-mail once interview candidates have been scheduled.
Offer of employment to the person selected for this position is contingent upon 1) successful completion of a pre-placement physical exam at district expense; 2) submission of a current tuberculosis test clearance; 3) proof of eligibility to work in the United States; and 4) fingerprint clearance.
Individuals with qualified disabilities who need accommodation with any aspect of the application and/or interview process should contact Human Resources at 760.795.6854 at least five (5) days prior to the closing date.
Retired STRS members are not eligible for these positions.
Basic Function and Other Details: BASIC FUNCTION:
Under general supervision, lead the development, evaluation and refinement of scenarios for use in nursing course simulation exercises; set up hardware and software in classrooms and simulation labs; oversee students during lab activities and act as a resource mentor; and perform related duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class.
1. Develop, present, evaluate and refine scenarios for simulation experiences for a broad range of medical situations, utilizing role playing, props, dialogue and debriefing to create a realistic and stimulating learning environment for nursing students; formulate new simulation exercises based on nursing curriculum and student- or faculty-identified needs and current practice issues; define learning outcomes and storyboard scenes, patient histories, lab results and doctor's orders relevant to the scenario; prepare scripts for characters and simulation paths.
2. Set up hardware and software in classrooms and simulation labs as necessary; match instructor requests for mannequins with available equipment; schedule use of lab and equipment; provide orientation and advice to instructors on simulation laboratory procedures and use of equipment and materials; maintain mannequins and other equipment; monitor and supervise general cleaning of the simulated hospital lab.
3. Develop and recommend goals and objectives for the hospital simulation lab that support programs and student learning; lead and participate in faculty development activities on simulation-based learning.
4. Assist faculty with scheduled laboratory teaching; supervise students during scheduled laboratory periods; participate in the overall skills check off for students; follow up and schedule practice and retesting sessions for students with missed skills; serve as a resource mentor and work with students requiring remedial assistance; provide feedback to instructors on student progress.
5. Establish an open lab schedule each semester; schedule and coordinate the work of part-time skills lab instructors; recruit, train and schedule the work of laboratory assistants.
6. Order, receive, catalog and store instructional supplies, materials and equipment; arrange for the repair or replacement of broken equipment.
1. Stay current on technical and educational developments in the field of nursing simulation.
2. Participate in department meetings on curriculum, student learning and student success.
3. Perform related duties as assigned.
Type of Benefits: Based on the 2018-2019 classified salary schedule, the starting salary for this position will be $35.51 per hour (salary range 28, step 1), plus vacation, sick leave, holiday pay and enrollment in a retirement system.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
To be eligible for this position, you must meet and provide evidence of the following minimum qualifications:
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor's degree in nursing, and at least four years of progressively responsible professional nursing experience, two years of which were in a healthcare education environment; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Licenses and Other Requirements:LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS: A valid California driver's license and the ability to maintain insurability under the district's vehicle insurance program. A current valid registration as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing. Current certification as a Certified Healthcare Simulations Educator issued by the Society of Simulation in Healthcare or the ability to obtain certification within 3 years of employment is required.
First Screening Date: Monday, December 3rd, 2018
Human Resources Contact Information: firstname.lastname@example.org or 760.795.6854
About MiraCosta College The MiraCosta Community College District is one of California's 114 public community colleges. The district includes the communities of Oceanside, Carlsbad, Encinitas, Cardiff, Olivenhain, Leucadia, Solana Beach, Rancho Santa Fe, Del Mar, Carmel Valley, and parts of Camp Pendleton.
MiraCosta offers undergraduate degrees, university-transfer courses, career-and-technical education, certificate programs, basic-skills education, and lifelong-learning opportunities, as well as a Bachelor of Science degree in Biomanufacturing.
The district operates two campus sites and two centers, and offers a robust online education program. The Oceanside Campus, serving approximately 10,500 students, is located on a panoramic 121-acre hilltop site with views of the ocean and mountains. The San Elijo Campus is located in Cardiff, 17 miles south of Oceanside, and attracts more than 3,000 students. The Community Learning Center in downtown Oceanside hosts about 2,500 students in the college's noncredit programs including English as a Second Language, the Adult High School Diploma Program, and other tuition-free, noncredit classes. The Technology Career Institute (TCI) in Carlsbad is part of the colleges Career Education Department. It offers our local community members the opportunity to enhance their lives and their careers with low-cost, hassle-free classes, workshops, and programs, as well as certificate programs to train skilled workers in industries such as high-tech manufacturing, maritime technology, and emerging technologies. The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) located at the TCI provides resources, workshops, and leadership programs for small businesses and serves all of North San Diego and Imperial Counties. The Veterans Business Outreach Center (VBOC), also located at the TCI, provides entrepreneurial development services such as business training, counseling, and mentoring, as well as referrals for eligible veterans and military spouses owning or considering starting a small business enterprise in Santa Barbara, Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego and Imperial Counties.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
The MiraCosta Community College District is located in San Diego County along the Southern California coast, between Orange County to the north and the metropolitan area of San Diego to the south. The district is approximately 35 miles north of San Diego and 90 miles south of Los Angeles. The District includes the cities of Oceanside, Carlsbad, Encinitas, Rancho Santa Fe, Solana Beach, Del Mar, the unincorporated areas of La Costa, Olivehain, and portions of Carmel Valley and Camp Pendleton Marine Base.