Performs professional work in planning, designing, and overseeing construction and maintenance of building structures, and facilities. The successful candidate will apply extensive and comprehensive knowledge of engineering principles and standards to ensure plans’ conformance with COTA design standards and performs related work as required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The candidate will spend 60% of daily time reviewing project design plans and the remaining 40% on the general engineering support to the Division project/construction managers and other technical office tasks;
Responsible for the leading and reviewing and commenting on project designs (roadway modifications and improvements as well as site development plans) submitted by various municipalities within the COTA taxing district (Central Ohio) for compliance with the Design Guideline Manual for Bus Stops and Bus Shelters;
Lead coordination efforts with various municipalities as well as private entities to track and maintain a log of projects / plan reviews received by COTA;
Manages and directs staff members and the construction, operations, or maintenance activities at project site;
Provides technical advice regarding design, construction, or program modifications to industrial and managerial personnel;
On site inspection of project sites to monitor progress and ensure conformance to design specifications and safety standards;
Perform field visits to Bus Stops to determine existing site conditions including taking measurements, photographs and notes;
Assist with the development of the scope of work for requests for bids and the development of the request for proposals for the consultant contracts for the capital projects within the Planning Division. Review bids and bid proposals for approval of contracts. Estimates quantities and cost of materials, equipment, or labor to determine project feasibility;
Performs small civil design infrastructure projects including calculations for a variety of projects, sketches, drainage, technical comparisons and similar technical work as required;
Plans and designs transportation systems and structures, following construction and government standards, using computer aided design software and drawing tools;
Reviews capital justification requests for the submitted and provide direction on improving the requests. Ensures that the AFE process is managed within COTA guidelines;
Responsible for reviewing and commenting on project designs (roadway modifications and improvements) submitted by the various municipalities within the COTA taxing district for compliance with the Design Guideline Manual for Bus Stops;
Lead Bus Shelter designs and installation in coordination with COTA Facilities Division;
Analyzes survey reports, maps, drawings, blueprints, aerial photography, and other topographical or geologic data to plan projects; and
Performs other duties as assigned;
Regular, predictable and punctual attendance required.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS
Provide engineering guidance to various cross functional teams and internal committees;
Assist project/construction Managers in the day-to-day management of Capital projects;
Assist with concept and budget development and capital planning process management.
Requires a Bachelor's Degree in civil engineering or other related fields and a minimum of 3 years of civil engineering experience. Two years of experience in transit planning, transit design, or transportation construction management preferred.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
Professional Engineers License preferred.
Civil Engineering EI / EIT required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
Candidates must possess effective oral communication and technical writing skills, be detail orientated, and be able to work independently with minimal supervision as well as within a group environment;
Knowledge of the MS Office (or similar) package, including but not limited to Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint; GIS experience preferred;
Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology;
Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models;
Knowledge of sidewalk design best practices;
Knowledge of rigid and flexible design principles and best practices;
Knowledge of drainage, utilities, and earthwork design and construction practices;
Knowledge of small scale structural design principles and ability to review plans and specifications related to pre-manufactured steel structures;
Ability to create and modify drawings with AutoCAD;
Skills in verbal and written communication;
Skills in human relations;
Ability to relate technical information in lay terms in a clear and concise manner;
Ability to learn new computer programs (software and applications); and
Ability to define problems, research issues and develop logical and practical solutions within the framework of general principles of engineering and the policies and procedures of the Authority.