Deputy Chief Information Officer (Deputy CIO, 0670)
University of California Office of the President
Requisition Number: 20180498
Appointment Type: Staff - Career
Personnel Program: MSP
Work Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm
Percentage of Time: 100
Organizational Area: Information Technology Services- Immediate Office
Location: Oakland, CA
Posting Salary: Salary to commensurate with experience
Position Summary: The Deputy Chief Information Officer (Deputy CIO) for the University of California Office of the President (UCOP) directs the technology operations of the Information Technology Services (ITS) department. The Deputy CIO is responsible for a large IT organization that provides enterprise administrative and academic applications, as well as infrastructure services, for UCOP, the UC campuses, and universitywide initiatives.
Reporting to and working closely with the University of California Systemwide CIO, the Deputy CIO develops and executes a technology vision that positions the organization as a high-quality and cost-effective service provider. The Deputy CIO ensures the IT organization works effectively with departmental partners, UCOP IT Client Services, and other UC locations. The Deputy CIO represents the UCOP location on universitywide initiatives and councils.
Special Conditions of Employment: Overtime Travel Travel outside of normal business hours
Other Special Conditions of Employment: Successful completion of a background check is required for this critical position.
Job Close Date:
Duty 1: - Directs a large, multi-unit organization with multiple direct reports and over 250 FTE. Manages the organization's budget, both capital and operating, resources, and staffing.
- Is responsible for the strategic planning, implementation, and overall administration of UCOP's IT infrastructure, academic and administrative systems and applications, and IT processes.
- Ensures support for secure, robust, mission-critical technology platforms that enable the University's day-to-day business operations.
- Collaborates with UCOP IT Client Services and ITS Information Security to ensure high quality end-to-end service delivery.
- Coordinates with other departments/business partners to ensure responsiveness to their needs, functions, processes, and systems. Function:IT Operations Percent: 50
Duty 2: - Provides broad leadership across all operational areas at UCOP, consulting regularly with executives and functional leaders.
- Establishes governance leading to short- and long-term planning for IT investments, including attention to modernizing services, building required competencies, and leveraging best practices of the technology marketplace.
- Evaluates strategic goals of the department to improve organizational structure and workflow.
- Promotes a customer service-oriented culture and an environment that supports innovation, cooperation, and collaboration within UCOP ITS and across the UC IT community.
- Develops a diverse workforce by establishing an inclusive and supportive work environment and developing new approaches for recruiting and retaining the IT workforce. Function:Executive-Level Organizational Management Percent: 40
Duty 3: - Represents UCOP on and plays a leadership role in systemwide groups, such as the IT Leadership Council, and its committees and work groups.
- Takes a leadership role in systemwide technology initiatives; seeks opportunities to promote and initiate intercampus innovation and collaboration to achieve efficiency and cost effectiveness for the University. Function:Systemwide IT Representation and Contribution Percent: 10
Job Requirements - Bachelor's degree in relevant field; and 10 years' experience leading and managing complex IT organizations; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience managing large-scale, multi-platform environments for both applications and infrastructure in support of a broad range of constituencies.
- In-depth knowledge of existing and emerging technologies, computing architectures, and application development, and operations. A wide array of platform experience is preferred as the role is expected to cover many different types of environments.
- Demonstrated knowledge of utilizing and implementing systems and software development lifecycle best practices.
- Demonstrated experience in providing reliable, high-availability computing services to a broad range of users.
- Demonstrated experience in IT strategy and planning in support of an organization's core business operations.
- Extensive experience in developing and presenting IT budgets, plans, and projections to a variety of audiences, including senior executives.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills with the proven ability to communicate openly and effectively with staff, management peers, business partners, and executives.
- Proven ability to lead complex, collaborative initiatives with multiple stakeholders from a variety of functional areas, and at times, multiple locations.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct constructive dialog and empathy for the needs and concerns of user groups, developing strategies and marshalling resources to best meet those needs.
- Ability to communicate complex technology concepts simply and effectively to executive management and the user community.
- Ability to model and drive and process change within the organization.
- Ability to foster an innovative, inclusive, and supportive work environment.
- Proven ability to develop effective collaborative relationships with business partners and distributed IT groups. Required
About us The University of California, one of the largest and most acclaimed institutions of higher learning in the world, is dedicated to excellence in teaching, research and public service. The University of California Office of the President is the corporate headquarters to the ten campuses, five medical centers and three Department of Energy National Labs and enrolls premier students from California, the nation and the world.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.