Environmental Finance is a pioneering employee owned social enterprise established in 2016. We are the UK's leading environmental impact investment advisor, providing strategic consultancy and corporate finance advice to some of the largest environmental organisations in the UK, such as DEFRA, the RSPB and the National Trust. We also work alongside a range of enterprises seeking to deliver and grow high impact investments towards funding community and environmental initiatives.
We are working to change the conversation about nature, to stop natural asset spend being perceived as an expense where instead it should be perceived as an investment, given the multiple benefits society receives that far outweigh this spend (e.g. pollination, climate regulation, clean water, health and wellbeing to name a few).
Working across a wide variety of the conservation, natural and built asset sectors, Environmental Finance creates and partners with others who are creating innovative and investable projects. These projects are specifically structured to deliver quality returns for investors, local communities and the environment at large.
Our team of experienced professionals all excel in their given fields and innovate to meet changing trends in Government policies, sources of finance and market opportunities.
Further information can be found on our website: https://www.environmentalfinance.co.uk/
The Parks Enterprise Impact Fund
Picnic is a £3.3m Parks Enterprise Impact Fund (the "Fund"), launched in January 2019, that will support the development of approximately 60 Community Parks Businesses ("CPBs") over four years, lending up to £150,000 to organisations. The Fund aims to develop the capacity and capability of the organisation to deliver new revenue streams, become more sustainable and deliver enhanced local social impact.
By supporting the development of community based organisations, in key local green assets, delivering more impactful services within those parks and green spaces, the Fund has significant potential to enhance community cohesion, provide additional community volunteering, training and job opportunities, and conserve the natural environment, whilst helping to secure the long term future of the parks and green spaces sector.
The Investment Manager will be expected to work with the EF's Board of Directors in:
· Marketing the Fund to prospective investee partners and organisations that might identify and introduce investment opportunities;
· Screening of prospective investment opportunities and detailed assessment of selected prospective investment opportunities;
· Managing due diligence investigation into prospective investment opportunities;
· Preparation of investment proposals to be reviewed by the Fund's Investment Committee
· Structuring and executing transactions;
· Overseeing the performance of investments made by the Fund, including attending board meetings, where relevant;
· Reporting to the Fund on the performance of underlying investments;
· Active management of underperforming investments; and
· Managing the Fund's Investment Analyst.
The Investment Manager will also work alongside an EF's Advisory team who will be responsible for working with social ventures in parks at an early stage to develop investable projects.
Skills and Experience
We are looking for an Investment Manager with a combination of excellent financial and commercial skills, the ability to develop partnerships with social ventures and the public sector, and a strong commitment to improving the social impact delivered from parks:
· Ability to assess strategic opportunities for investment in parks for social impact – the analytical skills to understand complex community challenges, changing local needs and commissioning landscapes, the wider parks sector strategies and funding mechanisms, and options for revenue generation and service delivery from parks assets;
· Strong financial and commercial skills – the ability to undertake rigorous financial due diligence, assess business plans and wider market information, lead the development of financial modelling and other elements of an investment process and make recommendations to the Investment Committee; we expect that the Investment Manager will have had prior commercial, investment or other relevant financial experience particularly in making loans of a size and to potential investees similar to those expected to be made by the Fund;
· Leadership and negotiation skills – ability to engage with local communities, public sector commissioners and social ventures to help develop the partnerships required to deliver new services, including contractual negotiations where appropriate;
· Investee relationships skills – ability to play a significant role in managing the Fund portfolio and leading the management of specific investments, including engaging with investee companies (such as sitting on Boards);
· Entrepreneurial – welcomes the challenge of helping to create and develop a new fund that intends to be at the forefront of a developing social investment market; and
· Demonstrable interest in improving the parks for social impact sector, supporting social enterprises and developing the social investment market, particularly at a community scale.
Typically, we would expect candidates for the Investment Manager role to have a minimum of seven years of relevant experience, however we would also consider offering the post to an outstanding Director level candidate who could grow into being part of the senior leadership of EF in a relatively short timeframe.
· £40,000-£50,000 per annum with discretionary bonus, plus statutory pension contribution
· 25 days holiday (plus English bank holidays)
· Flexible working potential
· Potential to become a shareholder in the future
· Learning and continuous improvement is a critical element of the way we work. We will support you with individual development, both through external training but also coaching from members of the executive team
· Opportunity to progress to Director
Internal Number: 4968672
About Environmental Finance Limited
eFinancialCareers is a career site specializing in financial services.