North River Commission, a nonprofit community development corporation serving the communities and business districts on the northwest side of Chicago, seeks a Program Coordinator to join its team. This full time position is supervised and supported by the Executive Director.
North River Commission (NRC) was founded in 1962 by concerned residents and neighborhood institutions to improve the quality of life for all constituents. Today, NRC partners with over 100 civic associations, businesses, schools, institutions, and places of worship to create and preserve affordable housing, support quality education, foster economic development and thriving businesses districts, develop, maintain, and program open spaces, and expand arts and cultural endeavors.
The Program Coordinator is essential in developing and maintaining strategic partnerships among stakeholders that result in impactful program delivery. The position leads the affordable housing program and community-engaged planning and development. The position collaborates with the Economic Development Coordinator to deliver services in the Special Service Area and through the Albany Park Chamber of Commerce. The position collaborates with the Executive Director on securing financial support for programs. As needed, the Program Coordinator collaborates with staff, interns, and volunteers on shared projects. All NRC positions collaborate with our communities, including civic associations, organizations, institutions, businesses, government, as well as NRC leaders.
Affordable Housing Program
1) Programming and management oversight at Mayfair Commons Senior Housing Center, a low-income affordable rental building with 97 units and 116 senior residents.
2) Program delivery that preserves affordable family rental housing in collaboration with landlords, government, organizations, community groups, and NRC leaders.
3) Project development leading to the creation and preservation of affordable family and senior rental housing through partnerships with housing developers, government, organizations, and community groups.
4) Secure financial support for all aspects of the affordable housing program including grant making, grant reporting, development loans, and development fees.
5) Develop and maintain partnerships that bring resources to affordable rental property owners including city programs and energy efficiency programs.
6) Support the North Park Village Advisory Council (NPVAC) meetings, government relations, and organizing for specific projects.
1) Management and implementation of current plans from the Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP), Urban Land Institute (ULI-Chicago), and Chicago Transit Authority with community leaders and partners along with NRC staff and leaders.
2) Develop strategies and form partnerships that result in timely delivery of plan objectives for economic development, affordable housing, and environment.
1) Collaborate with Executive Director in fundraising for NRC programs from private and corporate foundations, individuals, institutions, organizations, government, and corporations.
2) Assist NRC staff and volunteer leaders in securing membership support of programs and operations.
1) Assist Executive Director in support of volunteer leadership, including Board of Directors, Membership Council, civic associations, and community leaders.
2) Assist Executive Director and accountants in bookkeeping, financial oversight, and annual audits, as needed.
3) Coordinate with team members to recruit, train, support, and supervise interns.
1) Salary is commensurate with work experience and skills and includes: health and dental benefits; and vacation, sick and holiday pay.
2) Background check will be required prior to start of work.
3) Position is open until filled.
4) North River Commission is an equal opportunity employer.
Qualified individuals should submit a cover letter, resume, and three references including name, email and phone number. Send application by email to Thomas Applegate, Executive Director
No phone inquiries, and no applications will be accepted that are not emailed.
1) Bachelors degree
2) Strong oral and written communication skills, especially presentations at and facilitation of community meetings.
3) Work experience at a community based organization preferred.
4) Strong ability to work with diverse communities and organizations, including diverse socioeconomic, racial, ethnic, religious, and ideological communities.
5) Multilingual ability is preferred, especially Spanish.
6) Strong collaboration skills, and experiences in project management, community organizing, and building strategic partnerships preferred.
7) Availability to attend evening and weekend programs, events, and community meetings as needed. No out of town travel is anticipated.
8) Good computer competency.
Additional Salary Information: Salary is commensurate with work experience and skills and includes: health and dental benefits; and vacation, sick and holiday pay.
About North River Commission
North River Commission is a community-based nonprofit organization founded in 1962 by concerned residents and neighborhood institutions. NRC unites over 100 civic associations, businesses, schools, institutions and places of worship on the northwest side of Chicago to improve the quality of life for all constituents in our community by creating affordable housing, quality education, arts & cultural endeavors, open spaces, and stable neighborhood businesses.