Department: Small Business & Technology Development Center
Pay Grade: 44
Posting Number: 20180257FTS
Appointment Type: Full Time Regular
The Technology and Commercialization Specialist/Small Business Consultant works with the Missouri State University Small Business and Technology Development Center (SBTDC) and the efactory to provide consultation services to start-up and small business clients on a wide range of topics including technology commercialization, innovation, small business management issues, accessing capital, financing, marketing, human resources, strategic planning, and business assessment. The Technology and Commercialization Specialist/Small Business Consultant develops and conducts educational training sessions on technology commercialization, investor funding and pitching, and technology business development.
Description of Primary Duties:
1. Works effectively with community entrepreneurs, small businesses, and researchers with commercialization issues and develops relationships with University faculty and staff, especially technology transfer functions, to assist clients with technology commercialization.
2. Develops positive relationships with Southwest Missouri and Springfield small businesses and technology-focused organizations to create connections that result in beneficial relationships through research contracts, licensing arrangements, follow-on funding, and economic development measures.
3. Provides an effective consultative service to entrepreneurs and small businesses by establishing cooperative one-on-one relationships with business owners and managers, recommending viable options or identifying resources to address their stated and/or assessed needs, and conducting follow-up sessions with the management of participating small businesses to determine if the stated objectives have been met.
4. Assists in the achievement of economic impact goals as established by the Small Business Administration, the Missouri Small Business and Technology Development Centers' administrative office, the Missouri State University SBTDC, and the efactory related to job creation and retention, dollar amounts of loans and investments secured, increased sales, the number of businesses acquired or started, and technology commercialization; specific economic impact goals may differ annually.
5. Assists with the development and administration of educational sessions on investor funding and pitching, commercialization, and technology business development to meet specific needs of small businesses in the region by identifying prospective participants, assisting with the printing and distribution of brochures and printed materials, serving as a representative of the SBTDC and efactory during training sessions, and assisting with workshop facilitation.
6. Markets educational offerings and promotes the mission of the Missouri Small Business and Technology Development Center and efactory, including providing presentations and radio and news releases, meeting with legislators and other leaders, and using social media and other platforms appropriate for the programs and audiences.
7. Assists in the achievement of program income goals as established by the Missouri Small Business and Technology Development Centers' administrative office and the SBTDC office at Missouri State University.
8. Establishes positive working relationships with local and regional economic development organizations, critical community governments, chambers of commerce, business stakeholders, technology-focused organizations and groups, and faculty and effectively communicates the Missouri Small Business and Technology Development Center and efactory's value to stakeholders.
9. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
10. Actively participates in professional development opportunities to acquire effective and innovative teaching skills, continuously improves skills and increases research-based knowledge, and remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by the supervisor.
11. Contributes to the overall success of the SBTDC and efactory by maintaining a positive outlook and a high personal standard of excellence and performing all other duties as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
Education: A bachelor's degree in business, engineering, science or a related field is required. A master 's degree in business, engineering, science or a related field is preferred.
Experience: At least three years of experience in technology or product development commercialization or three years of experience operating, managing, or owning a small business is required. Experience in market development for research-based technology and/or product commercialization is preferred. Experience in working with private sector and faculty entrepreneurs is preferred; experience applying and transferring university research-based knowledge to entrepreneurs and business owners for market development and technology and/or product commercialization is preferred.
Skills: Effective interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills are required. The ability to work as a team member with University faculty and staff is required. Expertise in management, marketing, technology or product development and commercialization is preferred. A demonstrated ability to be proactive is required. An entrepreneurial vision and a desire to work with entrepreneurs are required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Official transcripts will be required at the time of hire.
Do you value every voice and every opinion?
Are you inspired to create a better future for yourself and others?
Are you ready to make a difference?
If so, Missouri State has a place for you
Missouri State University is a public, comprehensive university system with a mission in public affairs. Our purpose is to develop fully educated persons with a focus on ethical leadership, cultural competence and community engagement.
• Enrollment of 26,000 students who come from around the state and the world.
• Four-campus system: Springfield, Mo., West Plains and Mountain Grove, Mo., and Dalian,
• Students’ average ACT score above national average
• Strong commitment to both teaching and research
• More than 190 undergraduate options; 90 graduate options
• Located in Springfield, third-largest city in state; known for beautiful outdoors, friendly people, superior health care, excellent public schools, and a variety of entertainment and cultural opportunities.
Missouri State is committed to benefiting our surrounding communities. We want to create the next generation of citizen leaders through an unrivaled educational experience that emphasizes a com...mitment to public affairs.
With a campus community filled with diverse perspectives, voices and opinions, Missouri State is fulfilling its commitment to address the needs of a changing society. We are a community of forward-thinking teachers, learners and leaders.
We cultivate students of character who enter the workforce as well-rounded professionals and honest, confident individuals. We believe in innovation, bringing fresh, relevant ideas to our area.
We are dedicated to enriching our city and region, whether through cultural offerings, research and scholarly endeavors, internship programs or the development of facilities that serve a broader community beyond our campus borders.
When you work at Missouri State, you tap into a network of leaders with an appreciation for big-picture thinking and a continual desire to address the professional, personal and societal needs of our changing region. There's no limit to the statement we can make together.