Position Summary: We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Supervisor-Building Services.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing front line supervision to building service personnel ensuring that all employees demonstrate competency in understanding and the use of all equipment and supplies utilized throughout their shift. Ensures a clean and sanitary environment in all areas of responsibility as may be assigned throughout the Medical Center. Provides guidance and direction to all lines of BSD service (escort, linen, and cleaning). Provides feedback and/or documentation to managers. Works under general direction.
1. Demonstrates knowledge of the organizations Service Standards and incorporates them into the performance of duties.
2. Establishes daily assignment schedules for all employees under his/her supervision and monitors their work. Defines the expected outcome and time of completion of daily duties to the employee. Clearly communicates the objective of the assignment to the employee. Institutes appropriate follow-up with the employee to ensure that the desired outcome is reached. Assigns work in order to accomplish goals in a timely fashion and makes allowances for individual initiative. Solicits feedback from the employee to ensure the assignment is understood. Allocates resources appropriately so that the task can be accomplished. Informs the employees of their assignment immediately upon reporting to work or in advance. Distributes assignments equitably. Conducts patient interviews to ascertain quality of service.
3. Evaluates and documents staff performance, records, and reports personnel absences, and performs personnel counseling. Recognizes the need to counsel subordinates and performs counseling in a timely fashion. Explains to the employee clearly what his/her responsibilities are and standards of performance. Offers guidance for improving performance to the employee. Disciplines subordinates, when necessary, in accordance with Human Resources policies and procedures and the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Brings to the employees attention areas of performance needing improvement as soon as they are recognized with a plan and a time frame for correction. Approaches the performance review process constructively and conducts it in accordance with personnel and departmental guidelines and procedures.
4. Develops and encourages a program of staff development. Plans the training and development of staff in advance of implementation. Trains staff members effectively and maintains detailed records of performance and training status or probationary employees. Ensures that policies and procedures are followed and that staff awareness to said policies is understood and being implemented.
5. Participates in developing, planning and implementing new programs, including the development of related procedures/processes. Communicates the need for new policies and procedures to superior in a timely manner. Submits reports/plans, which are requested by superiors, on time. Develops short and long range plans for the accomplishment of goals; addresses all contingencies in a plan Communicates the reason for a delay in accomplishing a plan to the supervisor within a reasonable time. Utilizes audit result, quality assurance reports and accident reports to improve the quality of service.
6. Participates in cost control activities by seeking the most effective method of delivering services and maintains an awareness of the cost impact of decisions and actions. Evaluates practices and identifies areas of excessive supply usage and equipment abuses which could lead to high costs. Arranges work to reduce or avoid overtime. Uses supplies efficiently. Uses equipment efficiently and ensures that equipment is in good working condition, is cleaned and stored in a secure area.
7. Prepares daily reports and informs his/her supervisor or incidents that may or may not be job related. Reports daily the activities of all employees under his/her supervision; also, any incidents that have occurred. Composes related and required information in a neat and well written manner utilizing department forms whenever applicable.
8. Maintains safety and sanitary standards in areas of responsibilities . Tours each area of responsibility, covering each assigned area to observe all service line functions with the Building Services Department (escort, linen, and cleaning) and to determine compliance with instructions and quality of work. Inspects each area to ensure that all safety, health, and sanitation regulations are met in accordance with Federal, City, and State regulations. Ensures that cleaning staff follows proper policies and protocol as written in departmental policies and procedures manual.
Minimum Qualifications: To qualify you must have an Associates degree plus two years of supervisory experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Good communication skills.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Health provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online. If you wish to view NYU Langone Health's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.
Please See Above
Internal Number: 66917956
About NYU Langone Medical Center
NYU Langone Health is a world-class, patient-centered, integrated academic medical center, known for its excellence in clinical care, research, and education. Included in the 200+ locations throughout the New York area are five inpatient locations: Tisch Hospital, its flagship acute-care facility; Rusk Rehabilitation, ranked as one of the top 10 rehabilitation programs in the country; NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital, a dedicated inpatient orthopedic hospital with all musculoskeletal specialties ranked top 10 in the country; Hassenfeld Children's Hospital at NYU Langone, a comprehensive pediatric hospital supporting a full array of children's health services; and NYU Langone Hospital—Brooklyn, a full-service teaching hospital and level 1 trauma center located in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. Also part of NYU Langone Health is the Laura and Isaac Perlmutter Cancer Center, a National Cancer Institute–designated cancer center, and NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history.