The University of California, Merced seeks a Coordinator for General Education (Academic Coordinator Series Level II, Step to be determined), a year-round administrative position reporting to the Program Chair (faculty leader) for General Education and Vice Provost and Dean for Undergraduate Education.
The University of California, Merced, is the newest of the University of California system’s 10 campuses and the first American research university built in the 21st century. With more than 7,500 undergraduate and graduate students, UC Merced offers an environment that combines a commitment to diversity, inclusion, collaboration and professional development. With bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degree programs, strong research and academic partnerships, and community involvement, the UC Merced campus is continually evolving and requires talented, knowledgeable and dynamic educators, researchers, management and staff.
Ranked among the best public universities in the nation by U.S. News and World Report, UC Merced is uniquely equipped to provide educational opportunities to highly qualified students from the San Joaquin Valley and throughout California. The campus enjoys a special connection with nearby Yosemite National Park, is on the cutting edge of sustainability in construction and design, and supports the economic development of Merced and the region.
In Fall 2016, UC Merced broke ground on a $1.3 billion public-private partnership that is unprecedented in higher education. The Merced 2020 Project will nearly double the physical capacity of the campus by 2020, enhancing academic distinction, student success and research excellence. UC Merced has recently opened the Downtown Campus Center, a $33 million, three-story administrative building in the heart of Merced.
The Office of Undergraduate Education (OUE), as College One, provides general coordination and resources for General Education. In addition, the OUE is the administrative home for Center for Engaged Teaching and Learning, Merritt Writing Program, Undergraduate Research Opportunities Center, UC in DC and UC Center in Sacramento programs, student success support in collaboration with academic programs (e.g., Math Center, Chem Center, Writing Center), and Bobcat Advising Center for first-year and undeclared students.
UC Merced’s campus-wide General Education Program was launched with the incoming first-year class in fall semester 2018. The new curriculum was created by UC Merced faculty based on an understanding of UC Merced’s distinctive institutional context -- a small research university in the Central Valley with a diverse student body --, as well as the mission of General Education at UC Merced. In light of UC Merced’s identity as a research university, inquiry is at the heart of the General Education curriculum, a sequence of integrative learning experiences for all UC Merced undergraduates, regardless of major.
The Coordinator’s responsibilities include:
- Manage all administrative tasks, timelines, and record-keeping associated with implementing and maintaining the General Education (GE) program, including, but not limited to, course approvals, seminar proposals, experiential opportunities, and badges.
- Collaborate with GE Program and campus partners (e.g., school curriculum managers, academic advisors, Office of the Registrar, student affairs staff, Admissions Articulation staff, communications, Office of Undergraduate Education, GE governance) to ensure effective and timely implementation of all aspects of the GE Program.
- Work with guidance and oversight from the GE Program Chair (faculty lead) and Vice Provost and Dean for Undergraduate Education to implement action plans effectively to achieve the mission of the GE program.
- Support the work of the GE Program Chair, GE Executive Committee, and the Vice Provost and Dean for Undergraduate Education, including providing recommendations for the directions of GE.
- Collect and analyze data to inform program decision-making and improvements, including regular reporting and presentations.
- Provide oversight for communication between the GE program and its constituents and stakeholders (e.g., social media, website).
- Participate in meetings related to GE and represent the GE program at University and external events as appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned.