The Assistant Field Hockey Coach supports the Head Coach by providing leadership and integrity to the program set forth by the Head Coach which includes (but is not limited to) recruiting qualified student-athletes, organization of practice and competitions and assistance with academic progress and fundraising activities. The Assistant Coach is expected to conduct him or herself in a manner representative of the University, the Department and the sport both on and off the field of competition. Moreover, the Assistant Coach is expected to be knowledgeable about and comply with NCAA regulatory policy governing his or her sport as well as NCAA and conference policies governing recruiting, eligibility, ethical standards, playing seasons, and extra benefits. Evidence of the Assistant Coach's knowledge of rules and policy will be in the Departmental expectation that the Assistant Coach successfully complete the annually administered NCAA Coaches Exam.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assist with identification, evaluation and recruitment of student-athletes to the University and represent the University in compliance with NCAA policy.
2. Assist in all areas of team performance including pre-season, post-season training, practice and competition.
3. Work closely with support staff for both peak performance of the student-athletes as well as their development and academic success. Assist with the oversight of strength and conditioning activities, academic and medical issues.
4. Assist in the day to day operations including but not limited to NCAA paperwork, academic monitoring, travel plans, equipment and budget management.
5. Work compatibly and cooperatively with the staff and personnel in the Division of Intercollegiate Athletics.
6. Attendance and participation at Departmental and Compliance Meetings as scheduled.
7. Any and all other responsibilities assigned by the Head Coach consistent with the Mission of the Department.
Required Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree and at least two years of previous field hockey experience as a collegiate student-athlete. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Required Skills and Abilities:
*Ability to assist the Head Coach with personnel matters including hiring and supervision of undergraduate/graduate externs and volunteers.
*Ability to assist with budgeting, scheduling, meal planning, recruiting, coaching, scouting, and purchasing and caring for equipment.
*Ability to implement policies and guidelines for all field hockey personnel and student-athletes.
*Master's degree; Division I coaching and recruiting experience.
Compliance Statement: In the performance of their functions as detailed in the position description employees have an obligation to avoid ethical, legal, financial and other conflicts of interest to ensure that their actions and outside activities do not conflict with their primary employment responsibilities at the institution. Employees are also expected to understand and be in compliance with applicable laws, University and employment policies and regulations, including NCAA regulations for areas and departments which their essential functions cause them to interact.