The role holder will partner with the Functions within Barclays Bank UK. Barclays UK is the Ring-Fenced Bank and provides day-to-day products and services to individuals and businesses in the UK. The BUK Operational Risk partnering team coverage spans across the Functions, Savings, Investments & Wealth Management; Business Banking; Current Accounts, Payments, Insurance & Information; Barclaycard UK and Retail Lending; Retail Segments, and the Omni Channel and Customer Experience.
Insight and influence to inform business and strategic decision making (40%)
The role holder will be required to influence and challenge senior leaders to make risk-informed business and strategy decisions based on an understanding of the business gained through their daily interaction with senior leaders and their presence on business risk / control forums.
The role holder will provide input to the key business discussions and decisions at the key governance and decision making committees using their technical operational risk expertise, knowledge of risk best practice in the market place and knowledge of the business. In doing so they will provide insightful and potentially unpopular perspectives whilst being prepared to explain and stand behind their rationale.
The role holder will provide insightful analysis and interpretation of risks to the First and Second Line based on a thorough technical understanding of the Operational Risk Management Framework, a good knowledge of the business derived from their close relationships to First and Second Line management at the level of Group ExCo -2 & -3 and below and knowledge of wider industry risk practice.
The role holder will provide direct and measurable commercial benefit to the business in managing risk effectively
The role holder may engage with regulators e.g. the FCA or PRA on behalf of BUK and Barclays both in their capacity as an operational risk subject matter expert and in support of the business in meeting regulatory enquiries and other contacts including reporting.
Risk and Governance challenge (30%)
The role holder will support and challenge the First and Second Line at Group ExCo -2 & -3 and below to identify, assess and control existing and emerging risks prior to material P&L impact and within appetite, challenging the position and quantum of the appetite where they see excessive risk taking or risk aversion.
The role holder will review and challenge with the First and Second Line and other stakeholders the design and effectiveness of governance and controls to manage operational risks within appetite and seek appropriate assurance to support the outcomes.
Provision of tools and processes (30%)
The role holder will champion the provision and support for the use of a practical toolset to set and manage the businesses Operational risks to appetite and promote the use of appetite to effectively develop business opportunities as well as preventing outcomes outside of appetite.
The role holder will enable the First and Second Line to manage Operational Risk effectively through education and provision of advice, tools, training and robust independent challenge.
· Excellent practical understanding and experience of operational risk management and framework and with strong commercial awareness.
· The ideal candidate will have a track record of leading Operational Risk activity from a first or second line of defence role.
· The ideal candidate will be recognised for driving effective management action to risk issues either from a first line or second line perspective.
· Communication experience with a range of stakeholders and strong stakeholder management skills, with ability to influence others and to challenge without being confrontational, adapting their approach to the audience and circumstances.
Desirable skills/Preferred Qualifications:
· Educated to degree level or equivalent or have an appropriate professional qualification e.g. MBA, Accounting, IIA and Risk Management.
· The ideal candidate will have excellent command of the English language with strong written and oral communication skills and an ability to communicate and influence at all levels in the business.
· The ideal candidate will be focused on excellence and delivery, resilient and able to work with many and varied deliverables.
· Experience of setting and directing the objectives and responsibilities of the team with demonstrable success in driving the team to deliver desired and timely outcomes to those objectives.
· The ideal candidate will have demonstrated an ability to proactively engage with senior management, demonstrating an inquiring mind and the courage to follow it through to a sound conclusion.
Internal Number: 5649960
About Barclays UK
eFinancialCareers is a career site specializing in financial services.