Legal - Prime Brokerage Lawyer, Vice President (Hong Kong)
March 26, 2019
Morgan Stanley is a global financial services firm and a market leader in Institutional Securities, Wealth Management and Investment Management. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 747 offices in 42 countries. People are the source of our competitive advantage and our franchise is built upon dedicated and talented professionals who consistently set industry standards for integrity, expertise and leadership.
The lawyers and other professionals of Morgan Stanley's Legal & Compliance Division provide a wide range of services to our business units. They preserve the Firm's invaluable reputation for integrity and protect the Firm with policies and procedures that meet regulatory requirements around the world. They also strive to maintain cooperative relationships with governmental policy makers and the regulatory and self-regulatory agencies that govern the Firm's businesses.
Background on the Position
We are looking to hire a Vice President to join a team which provides internal client advisory coverage of the Institutional Equity Division in Asia Pacific, in particular, the following:
- Prime Brokerage
- Stock Borrowing and Lending
- Listed Derivatives
The team currently consists of 4 lawyers based in Hong Kong with additional support from a markets coverage lawyer in other Asian regions such as Singapore, Korea, India and Australia. This role will report into an Executive Director in the team who leads the legal coverage of the Institutional Equity Division in Asia Pacific. Responsibilities also include providing regulatory advice and advising on documentation relating to all aspects of the businesses specified above, including reviewing legal issues associated with our membership of clearing venues. Responsibilities could also include responding to regulatory inquiries and initiatives, market structure reform and policy work.
The role, based in HK, provides coverage for the Asia Pacific region and also involves working with country coverage lawyers in China, Singapore, India, Korea and Australia, external counsel as well as local Compliance professionals in each of our regional offices in Asia Pacific. The position will suit a dynamic individual with a problem solving mind-set who would like direct exposure of working with clients on the trading floor.
We are looking for:
- A Vice President with general finance training from a reputable international law firm or in-house counsel at a leading financial institution
- Excellent academics
- 6+ years PQE
- HK or UK qualified (other common law jurisdictions considered)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (English)
- Ability to speak, read and write Chinese and specifically Mandarin will be desirable
- First rate legal drafting and negotiation skills
- Strong technical knowledge of prime brokerage and stock borrowing and lending and related documentation and regulation required
- First rate analytical skills and the ability to identify and resolve issues in a fast paced environment
- Proactive, willing to learn, organized, detail-orientated, with an ability to handle pressure, manage a diverse and complex workload and work to tight deadlines
Internal Number: 5680141
About Morgan Stanley
eFinancialCareers is a career site specializing in financial services.