The Research Computing (RC) team at Northeastern University (NU) seeks a motivated, self-starting individual to be a member of our dynamic team as a Technical Writer. The successful candidate will be a key link between the RC team and the research community at NU, including faculty and students across a broad range of departments, as well as outside users and partners, in order to help them understand and utilize RC resources for their research and teaching.
As a Technical Writer, your primary objective will be to translate complex, technical information about our resources into approachable and instructional content for a variety of internal and external stakeholders. You will craft, maintain, and update both administrative and user-facing technical documentation, including: user guides, best practices, architectural diagrams, release notes, and our service catalog. In addition, you will work directly with faculty on research proposals with all major funding agencies (NSF, NIH, US Government agencies, etc) to meet all computational resource and data management requirements as they pertain to RC systems and services.
This position is responsible for project management of both documentation and content on the RC website, including but not limited to setting and meeting deadlines for content delivery, and communicating frequently with stakeholders and subject matter experts to generate and review content. All published content must capture the relevant technical detail while taking the target audience’s comprehension into account.
- At minimum, a Bachelor's Degree in science or engineering (chemistry, physics, biology, etc.) is required.
- Demonstrated strong individual writing skills.
- Desire for continuous self-improvement and maintenance of skills through training.
- Interface with senior management to develop a documentation strategy (e.g. user manuals, interface documentation, etc.)
- 4+ years of experience as a Technical Writer at a technology company or research institution.
- Graduate degree in technical writing or related disciplines.
- Curious by nature and are unafraid of asking questions until you understand well-enough to teach someone else.
- Demonstrable ability to translate technical jargon into approachable, accessible language
- Experience with scientific research, preferably within computational science domains such as HPC, ML/AI, bioinformatics, or big data analytics.
- Experience working with researchers and students to develop reference documentation.
- Self-starter, with a proven track record for creativity and initiative, with first-rate written and verbal communication skills with a high attention to detail
- Experience prioritizing multiple projects and work streams in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with WordPress or similar web-based content management system
- Technical writing in universities or other research organizations
- Technical writing for software documentation
A criminal background check is required for this position.
Requisition Number: STFR005371
Notes for JobElephant:
Please post to Educause.com
Internal Number: 60633
About Northeastern University
Founded in 1898, Northeastern University is a private research university located in the heart of Boston. Northeastern is a leader in worldwide experiential learning, urban engagement, and interdisciplinary research that meets global and societal needs. Our broad mix of experience-based education programs?our signature cooperative education program, as well as student research, service learning, and global learning?build the connections that enable students to transform their lives. The University offers a comprehensive range of undergraduate and graduate programs leading to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools.