The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanitys urgent challenges.
Provide psychiatric patient care to students of the University of San Diego Wellness Area. Engage in an integrated multidisciplinary health care team that serves the student population of the University of San Diego. Adhere to applicable professional ethics standards, and to professional regulations as mandated by state licensing board and FERPA. Periodically, this position may be asked to lead or contribute to either ad hoc or ongoing division/campus projects outside the scope of their day-to-day activities. The university seeks an individual with a strong interest in working at a mission driven, faith-based institution. This role working with students and the responsibilities of the position are significantly tethered the mission of the university. Supervision received by the Senior Director of Mental and Behavioral Health with direct supervision by the Wellness Area Consulting Psychiatrist.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Employee must possess a clear knowledge of and competence in the following:
1. Under a supervising physician, functions as a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner in examining, managing and treating USD students' psychiatric needs.
2. Performs physical exams, comprehensive psychiatric, psychosocial and developmental assessments, takes histories, obtains objective data and assesses clinical status of patients.
3. Recognizes, initiates interventions and manages episodic or chronic psychiatric conditions.
4. Works under written standardized protocols for NPs.
5. Uses a comprehensive approach to clinical and diagnostic assessment and patient care.
6. Screens and interprets laboratory results for reports.
7. Advises supervising physician/Senior Director of patient's condition when indicated.
8. Refers patients to appropriate specialty referral in consultation with Senior Director of Mental and Behavioral Health.
9. Follows up to ensure treatment is delivered as ordered and to ensure continuity of care.
10. Participates in training for staff and clinical trainees.
12. Develops and promotes quality health care delivery through professional development.
13. Performs brief supportive counseling to patients with the context of both medical and counseling facilities.
14.Performs other related duties as assigned.
Requires Ability to:
1. Relate effectively to patients and work effectively with medical and psychological staff.
2. Identify abnormal and normal health conditions and implement treatment.
3. Gather complete and detailed medical, psychiatric, psychosocial and developmental histories.
4. Recognize and evaluate situations which call for the immediate attention of a physician.
5. Instruct and counsel patients on matters pertaining to physical and mental health.
6. Assist and/or implement the referral process, provide patient education, advise patients on self-care, needed follow up and suggested behaviors.
7. Monitor lab work and special studies to include advising patients of lab results after the appropriate medical practitioner approval and advisement.
8. Ability to handle emergent and/or potentially critical situations with speed, accuracy and diplomacy.
9. Know correct procedure for all medical documentation including, but not limited to lab work, and drug screening.
10. Must assure patient privacy at all times and maintain patient confidentiality. Fully knowledgeable of Federal FERPA and HIPAA requirements.
11. Must assure the protection of self, patients, and co-workers from undue exposure to contaminated waste and hazardous materials.
12. Prescribe appropriate pharmacotherapy when indicated (with MD supervision when applicable).
13. Must have broad knowledge base of professional nursing practice, policies and procedures.
14. Participate in QA and educational meetings when scheduled.
15. Learn and operate electronic patient schedule and electronic medical record.
? Graduate of approved training program for Graduate Nursing program.
? Current active California licensure as NP with specialty training as a Psychiatric NP.
? Possession of a current valid CPR certificate is required.
? Current knowledge of drug and treatment protocols common to ambulatory care.
? Prior experience in university student health is highly desirable
? Board Certified as a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
? Has excellent interpersonal skills and is able to communicate effectively at all times.
? Works well with family members, patients and other non-medical personnel.
? Adheres to the highest medico-legal standards of nursing practice.
? Works as a team member, demonstrates excellent interpersonal and communication skills with Wellness team.
? Participate in Wellness integrated care processes, including Integrated Care Team meetings and Integrated Care mental health coverage for Student Health Center medical providers.
? Upholds the mission of University of San Diego at all times.
? Shall maintain a clean, neat and professional appearance at all times.
? Consistently meets assigned work schedule.
? Observes appropriate conduct standards.
? Is motivated and shows ambition in performing job duties.
? Recognizes and completes needed projects.
? Uses information systems to solve problems and answer questions.
? Shows emotional stability.
? Deals with difficult situations in a calm and effective manner.
? Knows when to bring a medical problem to the attention of the Senior Director of Mental and Behavioral Health.
Special Conditions of Employment:
? Upon hire and throughout employment, must meet the criteria for credentialing and privileging as required by Student Wellness.
? Employment is conditioned on the Universitys approval of employment following its acceptance of the results of a criminal background investigation. Regardless of whether a candidate has commenced working, the University reserves the right to rescind any offer of employment at any time should the results of a background investigation be unacceptable to the University.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
This is not a 12-month appointment. Months of appointment are negotiable based on University academic schedule.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Special Application Instructions
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letterand resume to your application profile for the hiring managers review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours: 40 hours per week; usual work hours 8:30am-5:00pm, Mon,Tues, Thurs, Fri & 8:30-6:00pm on Wed
Closing date: Open Until Filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is committed to academic excellence, Catholic intellectual and social traditions, and providing a top-notch liberal arts education for scholars of all faiths. USD is located on 180 acres overlooking the city of San Diego, Mission Bay and the Pacific Ocean. The campus is renowned for its beauty, and features Spanish Renaissance-inspired architecture.