Provides services to patients and athletes whohave impairments, functional limitations or changes in physical function andhealth status as a result of injury, illness or other causes with occasionalguidance. Actively collaborates with the health care/educational team whichconsists of the Director of Sports Medicine, team physicians, VanderbiltUniversity Medical Center specialists, athletic trainers and physicaltherapists to meet patient care, outcomes and system treatment, rehabilitationcare to athletes using modalities, personnel, equipment and supply resources.
Collaborates in establishing athletic training and sports medicine services, plan of care; then coordinates and implements care delivery while anticipating patient/athlete care needs across the continuum.
Analyzes comprehensive information pertinent to the patient's/athlete's care and management to determine patient/athlete functional capabilities within defined activity levels.
Continually utilizes Athletic Training skills and resources to evaluate patient's/athlete's functional capabilities towards optimal, safe participation, and applies appropriate interventions to ensure effective outcomes.
Employs strategies to promote health and a safe and healthy environment.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
ATHLETIC TRAINING (NOVICE):- Possesses sufficient fundamentalproficiency to successfully demonstrate athletic training in practicalapplications of moderate difficulty.
PATIENT EDUCATION (NOVICE):- Possesses sufficient fundamentalproficiency in providing patient education in practical applications ofmoderate difficulty.
TREATMENT IMPLEMENTATION (NOVICE):- Demonstrates proficiency inproviding treatment consistent with physician prescription and established planof care. Able to modify treatment plan as needed to demonstrate provision ofskilled therapy services including progression of treatment throughout courseof care, and revision of treatment interventions of goals not met. May superviseand direct certified athletic trainers (PT only), physical therapist /occupational therapist assistants, technicians and volunteers and students.Selects and follows correct protocol for care and utilize evidence-basedtreatments. Has completed at least one year of clinical experience in treatmentimplementation.
PATIENT EVALUATION (NOVICE):- Possesses sufficient fundamentalproficiency to successfully demonstrate the ability to conduct a patientevaluation in practical applications of moderate difficulty. Capable ofeffectively assessing the relative merits of alternative products or services.
PATIENT DOCUMENTATION - (NOVICE):- Possesses sufficient fundamentalproficiency to successfully demonstrate patient documentation in practicalapplications of moderate difficulty. Generally, works under the direction ofothers while accomplishing assignments.
Organizational Impact: Executes job responsibilities with the understanding of how output would affect and impact other areas related to own job area/team with occasional guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Analyzes moderately complex problems using technical experience and judgment.
Breadth of Knowledge: Has expanded knowledge gained through experience within a professional area.
Team Interaction: Provides informal guidance and support to team members.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (P2):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (P2):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (P2):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (P2):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (P2):
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
Bachelor'sDegree (or equivalent experience) from accredited athletic training program orequivalent. and 1 year relevant experience
Our programs in rehabilitation extend to our community forcontinuous learning and support of future professionals. With over 70 contractsto professional schools across the United States, we provide training for over50 occupational and physical therapy students and 60 audiologist andspeech-language pathologists annually. We host many continuing educationworkshops annually. A majority of these are open to a variety of medicalprofessionals as we strive to share our knowledge and remain current in thelatest therapy techniques, theories, and regulations that govern our practice.
Our Rehabilitation programs are actively involved incontinuous quality improvement through Focus Teams charged with the improvementof a service area through ensuring evidenced based practice, continuedcompetencies for staff, and consistency of practice and documentation. To learn more about any of ourservice areas, extensive programs for students, or employment and educationalopportunities, explore our Rehabilitation Services at VUMC REHAB
Locatedin Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching,discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals whocome to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a placewhere your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilitieschallenged. It is a place where your diversity â of culture, thinking, learningand leading â is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know theyare part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride intheir work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbiltâs mission is to advancehealth and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, andresearch.
Becausewe are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research,we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
USNews & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 HealthCare Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology (Bill Wilkerson Center), 9 adult and 9 pediatricclinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
TruvenHealth Analytics: among the top 100 hospitals in the US
Becker'sHospital Review: oneof the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
TheLeapfrog Group: grade"A" in Hospital Safety Score
NationalInstitutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medicalresearch in the US
AmericanAssociation for the Advancement of Science: 12 facultymembers elected fellows in 2014
MagnetRecognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored inMiddle Tennessee
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is a comprehensive health care facility dedicated to patient care, research, and biomedical education. Our reputation for excellence in these areas has made us a major center for patient referrals from throughout the Mid-South. Each year, people throughout Tennessee and the Southeast choose Vanderbilt University Medical Center for their health care because of our leadership in medical science and our dedication to treating patients with dignity and compassion.The mission of Vanderbilt University Medical Center is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.