Pay Range: $18.27 per hour or higher depending on experience
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Position Summary: The Benefits, Leave and Retirement Specialist works with the Director of Human Resources to coordinate the administration of the employee health benefits and retirement programs. The Specialist will provide calculations and manage records for employee leave and health benefit programs. They will be responsible for advising and providing assistance for employees and for the benefit program, including but not limited to: administering the shared leave program, family medical leave, short/long term disability, assisting with complex benefits issues (phone, e-mail, and in-person); and assisting with the application of eligibility. They will also provide support for the worker's compensation program. They will review, research and make appropriate corrections to benefit deductions, collaborate with vendors regarding benefit matters, and provide benefit orientation to new and potential employees. They will coordinate with Employment Services with regard to leaves of absence, FMLA (Family and Medical Leave Act) issues, and ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) issues.
- Bachelors degree in related field and 1 year of employee benefits related experience or 5 years of employee benefits related experience.
- Experience explaining Federal and State Law, policies and procedures to employees, supervisors and high level leadership in a group or individual setting.
- Experience managing HIPAA related information and maintaining confidentiality of sensitive materials.
- Experience analyzing information and researching a variety of sources to identify and resolve problems or issues, and making recommendations for resolutions in a proactive and reactive atmosphere.
- Experience advising a diverse population of employees in personnel and benefits areas.
- Experience with employee benefits administration, retirement programs, HIPAA compliance and fringe benefits programs.
- Experience training and explaining complex benefits plans to small or large groups of diverse employees.
- Demonstrated experience interpreting, explaining and applying benefit laws, rules and requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze complex personnel/benefit problems and develop alternatives and recommendations.
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently and on a team.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain accurate records.
- Must possess strong writing skills.
- Experience working with a self-funded health plan.
- Experience coordinating with the Idaho Department of Insurance, benefits Consultants and Third Party Administrators.
- Demonstrated experience reviewing documents for accuracy, completeness and compliance; and compiling data and information for reports.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Knowledge of higher education or state government personnel policies and procedures.
- Experience conducting training and/or making public presentations.
- Possess strong verbal and problem-solving skills.
- Experience with Banner.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
Posting Number: SP002149P
Posting Date: 04/10/2019
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions: Position is open until filled with first consideration date of April 26, 2019. Applicants must address in detail how they meet the required and preferred qualifications in their letter of qualification.
Background Check: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check.
Since 1889, the University of Idaho has provided motivated students with a transformative higher education experience that prepares them to solve real-world problems and achieve success in their lives and careers. Beginning with our beautiful residential campus in Moscow, the university’s reach extends throughout Idaho, serving over 12,000 students with educational centers in Coeur d’Alene, Boise and Idaho Falls, a research and extension center in Twin Falls, plus Extension offices in 42 counties. One of the nation’s land-grant research universities, U of I is a noted national leader in student-centered learning and interdisciplinary research that promotes public service. Our work serves businesses and communities, advancing the pursuit of diversity, citizenship and global outreach.