The Associate Dean for Academic and Student Affairs in the College of Education is an innovative leader who will provide strategic direction and leadership for all undergraduate and graduate curricular matters, including accreditation, and for meeting the advising needs of undergraduate and graduate students. The Associate Dean reports to the Dean of the College and works closely with the Dean’s leadership team. Reporting to the Associate Dean is the Director for Student Affairs Office (SAO) and the Director of the Teacher Preparation Programs (TPP). This position is a tenured full professor at Michigan State University. The Associate Dean position will be a 75% annual appointment in the Dean’s Office and the remaining 25% will be in the academic home department (to be determined based upon candidate’s background). The initial appointment will be for five years.
The Associate Dean has responsibilities for academic governance including working with the University Curriculum Committee, manages the review of academic program and course changes, coordinates summer school requests, and serves as a reviewer for the State Higher Education Authority. The Associate Dean serves as the college lead for graduate education representing the College to the Graduate School, coordinates graduate data collection and related reporting, oversees graduate academic progress and disciplinary issues, oversees graduate fellowship and endowed scholarships, manages all graduate records, and communicates graduate funding and other graduate policies. The Associate Dean trains program graduate secretaries and program coordinators in graduate related work. The Associate Dean manages the College’s Doctoral Convocations in both the fall and spring semesters.
Doctorate degree in Kinesiology, one of the Social Sciences, or related field
Tenured full professor at Michigan State University
Experience working and collaborating with faculty in a range of departments and units
Experience working with master’s and doctoral students in social and behavioral sciences
Demonstrated commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion among faculty, staff, and students
Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and productively with others
· Record of successful leadership
· Experience with curricula review processes
· Experience with program accreditation
· Experience working with the Michigan Department of Education or other state agencies
· Familiarity with teacher preparation programs
· Knowledge, understanding, and experience with university systems, curricular processes, and organizational processes in higher education
· Experience in strategic planning and budgeting
· Experience with online graduate programs
Required Application Materials
Please upload a current curriculum vitae, a statement of interest to include a description of past activities or accomplishments relevant to the position, and the names of three references. The search committee is committed to respecting confidentiality and references will not be contacted without permission of the applicant.
Review of applications begins May 7, 2019.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Internal Number: 570177
About Michigan State University
Spartans work every day to advance the common good in uncommon ways.Together, we tackle some of the world?s toughest problems to find solutions that make life better?from alternative energy to better food safety to breakthrough medical and environmental applications achieved through rare isotope research.We teach. We explore and we discover. We collaborate and lead. We innovate, inspire, and empower. We achieve our potential and create circumstances that help our students and others achieve theirs.We're good at it, and we've been at it for more than 150 years.The nation?s pioneer land-grant university, MSU began as a bold experiment that democratized higher education and helped bring science and innovation into everyday life. The revolutionary concept became a model for the nation.Today, MSU is one of the top research universities in the world?on one of the biggest, greenest campuses in the nation. Home to nationally ranked and recognized academic, residential college, and service-learning programs, we?re a diverse community of dedicated students and scholars, athletes and artists, scientists and leaders.In ways both practical and profound, we work to create a stronger, more sustainable, and more hopeful future for all.