Littler Mendelson is looking for a Research Attorney to join our team as a dedicated member of the Reference Desk alongside our Research Librarians. The Littler Library is a part of the greater Knowledge Management Department.
Our KM department is made up of experienced employment attorneys, technologists, legal researchers and content administrators, who are dedicated to enhancing the firm's considerable knowledge and resources. Through KM's research support services, technologies and applications, we have developed innovative ways of delivering legal services to our attorneys and clients.
The job description lists both a JD and MLIS as a job requirement; however, equivalent experience will also be considered.
If you are interested in joining this exciting and growing team, please email Kathryn Keller at Katie.Keller@ParkerLynch.com for more detailed information.
· Responsible for effectively performing multi-jurisdictional legal research and analyze issues on a variety of labor and employment topics. Jurisdictions include federal and all 50 states plus the District of Columbia. Research to be performed using the firm’s various legal research tools including Lexis, BNA and state and federal government websites.
· Responsible for preparing concise, objective, summaries of complex legal issues related to employment and labor laws, within strict deadlines.
· Responsible for editing all own written material and other materials upon request to ensure clarity, accuracy (in spelling, punctuation and grammar), consistency in style/format, and compliance with the Firm’s Style, Grammar and Formatting Guidelines.
· Responsible for conducting legal citation verification and fact verification of non-legal information referenced in own written material and other materials upon request, including legal citations, dates, statistics, spelling of names, places, organizations, verification of agency address and contact phone numbers.
· Responsible for conducting triage on reference requests and projects to prioritize work and ensure all work is done in a timely manner.
· Responsible for asking appropriate questions, and to determine when independent judgment is required or where additional information is required from the attorney to ensure that resources are used appropriately.
· Responsible for packaging information in a succinct manner, to avoid a data dump of materials and still provide a complete answer to the research question or project.
· Responsible for maintaining a through in depth knowledge and understanding of all of KM's resources in order to be able to quickly and accurately respond to requests. Ensures all internal clients receive succinct, complete answers to research questions within specified time and quality constraints.
TECHNICAL SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
· Excellent written and verbal communications skills with an emphasis in email communication.
· Ability to conduct brief and accurate reference interviews.
· Proficient in online legal and non-legal research tools such as West, Lexis, Bloomberg, PACER, Courtlink, BNA, CCH, Hoovers, LRI, etc. The ability to utilize the correct tool for the correct question while providing the best value to the client and firm for complex research requests.
· Proficient in using and be familiar with print Labor and Employment reference materials, both as a researching tool and in evaluating materials for collection development.
· Ability to package vast amount of research data in a clear and concise manner utilizing Excel, Word, Power Point, and web based applications.
· Ability to conduct in-depth and complex searches utilizing firm tools such as Smart Search.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS:
Masters Library Science, or related.
JD Required from accredited law school.
5+ years experience in a legal library setting. Ideally, specific legal research experience in a labor and employment law firm.
With a singular focus on labor and employment law, our team is better equipped to serve your business. Why? Because our experience is vast and our knowledge is deep. For more than 75 years, we’ve focused exclusively on labor and employment law.