Description of Position: The Chief of Staff (COS) is a member of the FM Senior Leadership Team and reports to the Associate Vice President of Facilities Management (FM AVP). This position serves as chief advisor to the FM AVP, manages emerging issues, and represents the AVP to various constituencies. The COS supports the development and implementation of annual work plans, leads the FM communication function, and coordinates employee engagement activities. The COS is responsible for overseeing departmental policies, and serves as an escalation point for any concerns raised to the FM AVP office. The COS directly supervises staff in the Office of the FM AVP.
The COS also plays a key role in facilitating two way communication with all campus departments through established Collegiate and Departmental Facility Representatives. This involves creating, maintaining and streamlining FM related work processes to improve operational efficiencies. The COS serves as a key point of contact for many university departments including University Relations, Office of Human Resources, EOAA, and the Office of Information Technology.
25 % Strategic goals and annual work plans
• Facilitate the process to update FM’s strategic plan including development of strategic goals, objectives, and measures, and incorporation into FM’s annual work plan. • Support Project Governance methods to monitor work plan progress, track accountability and incorporate new initiatives throughout the year. • Identify opportunities for synergy with other programs and initiatives across FM and with other university units. • Provide framework for discussions and analysis on methods to reduce FM budget and improve operations.
25% FM Communications:
• Create and implement FM Communications Strategic Plan. • Serve as FM’s lead point of contact with University Relations, including coordination of communications for internal and external audiences. • Hire, train and supervise student communications staff. • Oversee FM website and coordinate resources for improvements. • Develop communications for the FM AVP. • Support FM directors in creating customer communications regarding planned and unplanned events and activities. • Serve as point of escalation and response for issues coming to the Office of the FM AVP.
20% Partnerships and relationship management:
• Establish and maintain productive partnerships with facility representatives in colleges throughout the Twin Cities campus. Manage agendas for bi-monthly collegiate Facility Lead meetings. • Oversee reliability and functionality of informational database that is used to identify and authorize space and access coordinators for all campus departments. • Oversee effectiveness of web portal “Manage building” tab and update information and links as needed. • In collaboration with customers, facilitate the selection, development, and implementation of process improvement initiatives. • Chair customer advisory team meetings to ensure mutual understanding of customer and FM needs. • Develop and train U Services personnel in tools and protocols to communicate with customers.
20% Employee Engagement:
• Support efforts to foster an inclusive environment to recruit, cultivate and retain a diverse workforce. • Chair the FM Engagement Champions committee. • Provide resources and facilitate leadership discussions on improving FM’s culture of engagement. • Facilitate activities related to employee engagement survey and follow-up actions.
10% Management and Administration:
• Directly supervise administrative staff supporting the Office of the FM AVP. • Facilitate development and updating of FM-wide policies and other documents. • Manage agendas and accommodations for various meetings and events. • Track accountability for action items. • Coordinate various responses needed on behalf of FM. • Provide oversight of the FM administrative budget.
Work Environment: Work is primarily performed in an office environment. FM is a 24/7 service organization and work may be performed during various hours of the day.
Minimum Qualifications Required: • BS/BA degree • A minimum of six years of relevant experience • Experience working in a working in a large, complex, highly decentralized organization
Preferred: • Master’s degree • 3 years supervisory experience • Knowledge of and experience with University of Minnesota policies, systems, procedures, and governance structures • Demonstrated successful change management skills • Demonstrated commitment to creating and supporting an inclusive and diverse workplace environment
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: • Experience supporting executive-level decision-making and strategic planning. • Proven record of demonstrating independent judgment, and maintaining discretion and confidentiality. • Demonstrated ability to persuade and influence colleagues outside of the direct chain of authority. • Ability to build, maintain and leverage effective relationships across all departments at the university. • Experience understanding and responding to customer needs in a complex organization. • Experience creating and implementing communications plans. • Exceptional organizational abilities. Able to effectively manage short and long term departmental projects. • Ability to effectively motivate others to action. • Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to listen well and work effectively with diverse groups. • Effective at resolving conflict and gaining consensus from diverse interest groups. • Knowledge of facilities management functions is preferred. • Lives the organization’s values of excellence, integrity, accountability, and stewardship. • Ability to prepare presentations, analyze data and interpret reports. Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite.
Internal Number: 330938
About University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
The University of Minnesota, founded in the belief that all people are enriched by understanding, is dedicated to the advancement of learning and the search for truth; to the sharing of this knowledge through education for a diverse community; and to the application of this knowledge to benefit the people of the state, the nation, and the world.