The primary objective of College and Career Guidance Counselor is to help prepare each cadet for postsecondary (college and career) success within the school counseling program that includes programs to help all cadets academically, emotionally and socially. The program will be implemented in accordance to best practices of the American School Counselor Association and the National Association of Independent Schools.
JOB PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provide support to students in their process of applying to and selecting a college, partner with parents, and represents the school to colleges and universities.
2. Advise students and their parents in grades 9-12, individually and in groups, regarding college selection, application and admission procedures, with a focus on fit.
3. Oversee the standardized testing calendar for students including scheduling test dates, registering students, arranging for special "prep sessions", administering the tests, and providing pre and post-test counseling.
4. Oversee the timely completion of faculty recommendations for students applying to college.
5. Develop reports for the Head of School and Board of Trustees regarding student progress and college placement statistics.
6. Maintain an attractive, informative and up-to-date college counseling center.
7. Oversee visits to colleges and visits from college representatives.
8. Establish and maintain connections with college representatives to advocate for applicants.
9. In collaboration with the Registrar, advise students on course selection and the consequences of those choices in the college selection process.
10. Maintain and update college counseling data on website.
11. Coordinate with the English Department to offer a college essay and application workshop.
12. Perform other duties as assigned by the Dean of Academics or Assistant Dean of Academics.
13. Participate in all faculty and staff meetings.
14. Supervise and/or participate in non-academic activities as required by all faculty.
Bachelor's degree required. College admissions, post-graduate courses, and/or Master’s degree a plus.
Work with Naviance Application software to create college lists, generate reports, and import and export data as needed.
Five years of teaching and/or administrative experience in an independent school environment preferred.
Knowledge of a range of college options, including those with strong academic support for students with learning differences.
Experience managing assessment data and using it to drive educational decisions.
A strong work ethic, excellent organizational skills, flexibility, ease and experience with computers, and a willingness to coordinate efforts with others.
Enthusiasm for teaching adolescents and working with parents of adolescents.
Calculate GPA and awards.
Must have good attention to detail, and the ability to meet deadlines.
A desire to work in a diverse and inclusive school environment.
A commitment to work collaboratively and innovatively with colleagues.
An ability to communicate respectfully, proactively, and honestly both orally and in writing with parents, colleagues, and administrators regarding curriculum and students.
A positive attitude, excellent written and oral skills, strong organizational skills and success within a work setting that requires collaboration, cooperation, flexibility, and collegiality.
About Missouri Military Academy
Missouri Military Academy is a boarding and day preparatory school with a military tradition that has readied young men for college and life since 1889. Our mission is to empower young men to unlock their potential through a structured program of academic excellence, character, social development and leadership training.
Missouri Military Academy operates four distinct yet closely linked programs: the high school, for young men in grades 9-12; a middle school for boys in grades 7-8; a summer program that offers camps for boys ages 8-17; and a for-credit summer academy for students in grades 7-12.
All of our programs exist to motivate students to reach their full potential, build self-confidence and develop academic and life skills that will lead to success in college and beyond.
Missouri Military Academy is for young men and boys who wish to have a unique educational experience that challenges them to do their best and teaches them to unlock their potential. Our 360 Degree Education focuses on five elements: Academic Excellence, Character Development, Personal Motivation, Physical Development and Leadership.