This is a 9-month, tenure-track position at the Assistant level in the department of Management. The successful candidate will show outstanding potential for teaching undergraduate and graduate level courses through innovative pedagogical approaches that emphasize the use of data for decision making. The successful candidate will also show outstanding potential for research and scholarly activities.
Other responsibilities include, but are not limited to, student advising, student mentoring and recruitment, curriculum development, engaging in accreditation procedures, program assessment, and service to the department, college, and university as needed.
Primary Function of Organizational Unit:
The Department of Management is in the College of Business and Economics (CoBE) at North Carolina A&T State University (NCAT).
Located in Greensboro, North Carolina, NCAT is a public, doctoral/research, 1890 land-grant university. The University is a constituent institution of the University of North Carolina System.
The business and accounting programs in the College of Business and Economics, including the MBA program, are accredited by AACSB. Since its establishment in 1971, the College of Business and Economics has grown to become one of the University’s largest academic units and has established a national reputation for excellence. This focus on excellence resulted in initial accreditation of the College’s academic programs by AACSB in 1979. It became the first Historically Black College and University (HBCU) in North Carolina to achieve this recognition of quality. In 1986, the Accounting Program was the first HBCU in the nation to achieve AACSB accounting accreditation.
Faculty at NCAT have published in journals such as Journal of Management, Strategic Management Journal, Journal of International Business Studies, Organization Science, Management Science, Journal of Operations Management, Journal of World Business, Journal of International Management, Management International Review, Corporate Governance: An International Review, Journal of Business Ethics, among others.
The college offers a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree. The Department of Management offers a BS degree in Management with concentrations in Entrepreneurship and Innovation, International Management, among others. The department also offers a Minor as well as Certificate in Entrepreneurship. The Department of Management has a robust and growing intellectual climate, with around 20 permanent faculty members.
NCAT is classified as a Carnegie R2 (Doctoral University of Higher Research Activity). NCAT is the largest public HBCU in the nation.
NCAT is the No. 1 producer of engineering degrees at the undergraduate level awarded to African Americans and is well known and highly regarded for STEM.
Internal job number: 001055
Candidates must have an earned doctorate in Management, Business-Administration, or a closely related discipline, from an AACSB accredited business program by the time of appointment.
- Academically qualified under SACS to teach a variety of undergraduate and graduate courses offered by the Management department.
- Willingness and ability to teach a variety of courses using innovative pedagogical approaches that emphasize the use of data for decision making. For instance, to innovatively integrate the use of financial and corporate data, business data analytics, and/or quantitative big-data analysis when teaching courses.
- Willingness and ability to innovatively integrate, into teaching, the use of data resources available in CoBE’s Financial Trading Room (e.g., FactSet, FactSet Global Historical Information, FactSet Corporate Ownership, Financial Trading System, and Bloomberg Terminal) and WRDS (e.g., Compustat).
- A research pipeline illustrating strong potential, with papers that have been submitted to and are under review at journals such as Academic of Management Journal, Journal of Management, Organization Science, Management Science, Journal of International Business Studies, Strategic Management Journal, Administrative Science Quarterly, Journal of Business Venturing, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, among others.
- An earned graduate degree from an AACSB accredited business program.
- We will be meeting with prospective candidates at the Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management (Boston MA, August 9-13, 2019).
- Early applications are strongly encouraged and welcome.
- Finalists will be required to arrange at least three confidential letters of recommendation, largely from co-authors on papers in their research pipeline. The providers of the letters of recommendation can expect to receive phone calls from the search committee.
- All candidates are required to provide copies of all undergraduate and graduate level transcripts. For ABDs, the PhD transcripts may be unofficial but must be current and must include all coursework (including any in-progress coursework) as well as the degree and major being pursued.
- Research Statement. Please include the following at the end of your research statement: Candidates who are ABDs are strongly encouraged to submit their full dissertation proposal document along with their application. Candidates who have already obtained their Ph.D. are encouraged to submit their full dissertation along with their application, especially if the full dissertation is not yet freely downloadable from a public website.
Candidates who have already obtained their Ph.D. and also those who are ABD will be considered for the position. ABD candidates should definitively demonstrate that they will complete their Ph.D. degrees before the start date. ABD candidates must successfully defend their dissertation before the start date.
- Other Document. All candidates are encouraged to submit samples of working papers and papers under review along with their application. Please combine all such papers into a single pdf file and upload under ‘Other Document’.
You must complete and submit an electronic application for employment to be considered. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing an electronic application.
Applicants seeking Veteran's Preference must attach a DD 214 form. Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty with your application during the process of applying to the job posting. Final candidates are subject to criminal and sex offender background checks.
North Carolina A&T State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
North Carolina A&T State University is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. No one who applies or seeks employment will be denied admission to or employment at North Carolina A&T State University on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, disabling condition, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or sexual orientation and sexual identity.
North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University is one of the nation’s most highly respected doctoral research, land-grant institutions. With an enrollment of almost 11,000 students, we are committed to fulfilling our mission through exemplary undergraduate and graduate instruction, scholarly and creative research, and effective public service. As a member of the A&T family you will be an integral part of its history and future – joining more than 1,800 current faculty and staff. You will be expected to be a leader and mentor. You will influence the minds that will affect our world. As a change agent, you will use your intellect and influence to make a positive impact on the greater A&T community. A&T will be more than your job, it will become your passion—and that commitment to yourself and others will last a lifetime. Because that’s what Aggies Do!