Information Sciences Institute (ISI), a unit of USCâs Viterbi School of Engineering, is a world leader in the research and development of advanced information processing, computing, and communications technologies. ISI operates one of the worldâs largest academic high-performance computing clusters. ISI has three research campuses:Â one in Marina Del Rey, CA; one in Arlington, VA; and one in Waltham, MA.
*This position is located in Arlington, VA.*
Information Sciences Institute (ISI) seeks a Senior Computer/Electronics Engineer who will be applying electrical and computer engineering principles and concepts in planning, coordinating and executing research and development activities.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
* PhD inÂ Electrical Engineering or Physics with some years of experience in the design, fabrication, and test of state-of-the-art microelectronic components for digital, analog/mixed-signals, and analog-only domains â OR -- MS inÂ Electrical Engineering or Physics with companion experience of at least 5 years in the design, fabrication, and test of such microelectronic components is also acceptable.
* Excellent understanding of how to design, synthesize, verify, evaluate alternatives, manufacture in advanced foundries, and test advanced microelectronic devices of diverse types (micro-processors, controllers, field-programmable-gate-arrays [FPGAs], memories, analog-to-digital converters, etc.); furthermore, how to design and embed such devices in complex signal processing systems.Â
* Working knowledge of EDA/CAD design tools, and state-of-the-art large-scale VLSI devices available as commercial products is beneficial; also having a good understanding overseeing experiments involving these processing assemblies, and collecting experimental data for future analyses.Â
* Knowledge of state-of-the-art software engineering practices, and some proficiency inÂ current programming languages (e.g., C,Â C++) for real-time environments.
* Good oral and writing skills in composing technical reports, and preparing and articulatingÂ presentations
* Self-motivated, setting own goals,Â and able to work with minimal supervision
*Â Eligibility for a security clearance is desirable and candidates who can satisfy International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and Export Administration Regulations (EAR) requirements are preferred.Â According to U.S. government restrictions, ONLY U.S. citizens OR lawful permanent residents (green card) are eligible for ITAR access.
The University of Southern California values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment.
Minimum Education: Master's degree, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum educationMinimum Experience: 3 yearsMinimum Field of Expertise: Working knowledge of electrical & computer engineering; experience with CAE/CAD tools, modern design methodologies & development of solutions for specific design tasks using engineering principles.
USC’s Viterbi School of Engineering has been one of the economic engines in Southern California and a vital hub in the California economy. The technical innovations and ideas generated by the Viterbi faculty and research community have resulted in countless innovations, many becoming the foundations for new companies, products and services. The thousands of students graduating each year bring new ideas and vitality to companies in California and beyond. With an annual research budget exceeding $205M each year, more than 46 research centers and institutes, more than 180 faculty members, 7,800 students and over 60,000 impassioned alumni world-wide, the Viterbi School is addressing some of the world’s great challenges.