Oakwood Village has an exciting opportunity for qualified candidates to join Oakwood Village Senior Ministries as a Vice President of Finance. Our VP of Finance is responsible for the oversight of all aspects of the Finance department processes and systems, ensuring the financial position of Oakwood Lutheran Homes Association Inc. and its subsidiaries is properly reflected in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, established legal and regulatory procedure and quality standards.
The Vice President of Finance monitors the Finance department policies and procedures and recommends improvements. This person also works with the department managers as a consultant in the matters of meeting financial goals and objectives. The Vice President of Finance is also responsible for preparation of the annual budget, coordination of the annual independent audit, cash flow forecasting, maintenance of the general ledger, management of accounts payable and accounts receivable, financial variance analysis, as well as benchmarking data for operational efficiencies and growth. This position is also responsible for the oversight of all operations of information technology.
This position is accountable to the Chief Executive Officer.
1. Fully embraces a culture of hospitality and teamwork by living the Oakwood Core Values: a. Compassion: We care deeply about the people we serve and the people we work with on a daily basis. We work together to help one another. b. Faith: We have a commitment to remain true to the vision and mission of Oakwood. c. Inclusion: We include everyone. We welcome opinions and strive to consider different perspectives to create fair, welcoming, and accessible experiences for all. d. Integrity: We work to be transparent and fair. We act with honor and respect for our residents, their families, and our co-workers. e. Dedication: We care about the people we serve and work with on a daily basis. We are dedicated to providing superior service to one another and our community.
2. Responsible for the development, analysis, and presentation of financial reports to Oakwood’s management, directors, governmental/regulatory agencies, bondholders, and other parties. Analyzes overall profitability trends and reviews results with these groups.
3. Works in collaboration with the management team on the development and reporting of key indicator financial or statistical information for existing and future programs and services, as well as current performance. This also includes analytical support for business growth opportunities.
4. Position the accounting and information systems departments to manage growth created by increased volume and management contract arrangements.
5. Utilizes a strong level of customer service to the managers, boards, residents, and other stakeholders, presenting Oakwood’s mission, vision, and values in all aspects of responsibility.
6. Leads the development of pricing policies for programs and services.
7. Acts in a lead role on debt management and bond issuance to ensure the most efficient handling of Oakwood Village’s bond capacity and borrowed monies.
8. Leads the development and implementation of accounting operations policies and internal control procedures which verify the integrity of all systems, processes and data, and enhance the company’s value.
9. Provides general leadership for the Finance department with emphasis on the empowerment of staff to be creative, to offer input into the decision making process, and to develop as an accountable member of the Oakwood team. Performs staff management duties including selection, orientation, and evaluation of staff.
10. Leads, coordinates, and facilitates the budgeting and financial control process for the organization. Helps establish operational budgets for each department and the corporation based on projected operating costs and revenue.
11. Maintains continuous improvements to accounting systems. This includes assessing future needs and applying and integrating technology to enhance the timeliness and accuracy of these systems.
12. Maintains a comprehensive financial records system and develops procedures for protecting and accounting for assets, liabilities, and transactions. This system will provide the basis for management decisions and control.
13. Works with department heads and supervisors to maximize economy, efficiency, and accountability of all financial transactions.
14. Responsible for accurately and timely filing of all federal/state regulatory reports (e.g., tax returns, Medicare/Medicaid reports, gift annuity annual reports, and HUD monthly reports).
15. Informs management and staff on fiscal control and profitability.
16. Works closely with the independent auditors regarding the annual audit including coordination and preparation of audit work papers. Assures that appropriate accounting and audit systems are in place and generally accepted accounting principles are met.
17. Tracks construction payments and bond status. Provides all necessary quarterly reporting to appropriate sources.
18. Maximizes return and limits risk on cash by minimizing cash balances and making investments. Communicates cash and investment status to Chief Executive Officer.
19. Serves as staff liaison for the Oakwood Foundation staff and financial reporting.
20. Provides direction for the corporate insurance strategy including assisting Human Resources with employee insurance programs and the 403b program.
21. Responsible for financial implementation of organizational changes.
22. Provides direction and leadership to annual operating, capital, and depreciation budget efforts through a process that is inclusive with management.
23. Staffs and/or participates in various committees as assigned including the Board Finance, Audit, Planning Committees and the Foundation Board. Responsible for the Resident Financial Advisory Committee which is responsible for getting resident input and understanding of Oakwood’s financial position.
24. Positions the accounting and information systems departments to manage growth created by increased volume and management contract arrangements. Manages and reviews contract agreements.
25. Responsible for the procurement processes on how requisitions are processed and controls within the procurement job description.
26. Facilitates and manages the process of negotiating all managed care contracts.
27. Participates in and facilitates, when appropriate, cross-functional task forces to resolve operational (having a significant financial impact) and/or business growth issues.
28. Formulates, recommends, and implements Board-approved long and short term financial plans and operating and investment policies to govern the growth and financial control of the organization.
29. Performs other similar duties, as needed.
1. Ability to Champion Oakwood’s Core Values. The strength of Oakwood as a community depends on the strength of relationships between leadership and staff, staff and other staff, residents and staff and residents with one another. a. We grow here: We encourage each other to grow professionally, we share our knowledge, we ask questions, and we help out. b. We honor the individual: We recognize the dignity of the individual, both residents and staff, and treat people with care and compassion. c. We invest in the power of community: We maintain a high level of quality of services and reinvest in our community to keep growing and improving. d. We are here for each other: We help out. We listen. We care. e. We go above and beyond: We hold each other to a high standard. We define exceptional service and we support each other in our aim to provide the best care possible.
2. Business Thinking: Understands Oakwood as a series of interlocked and intertwined business processes, able to respond to changing business needs, understanding the impact to the organization and able to use to synergy to Oakwood’s advantage.
3. Customer Service: Ability to see Oakwood through the eyes of the employees, management, residents, and stakeholders. Anticipates needs and continues to seek information and understanding.
4. Financial Expertise: Understands the financial complexity of the organization. Ability to establish and monitor the financial reports, using the information to make informed business decisions.
5. Business Growth: Understands the need to expand the business and that growth is essential. Continually looks for ways to grow the organization and remain competitive in the long-term healthcare industry.
6. High Standards: Sets objectives and holds self and Finance staff accountable for quality. Uses best practices for establishing quality standards.
7. Integrity: Performs ethically and honestly in all work activities. Willing to take responsibility for their actions and fosters a work environment where the same behaviors are expected and rewarded.
8. Mission Focus: Committed to Oakwood’s mission and uses the core purpose in daily work activities.
9. Organization and Planning: Demonstrates ability to manage time, tasks and projects wisely; highly productive and efficient.
10. Problem Solving and Decision Making: Demonstrates ability to identify problems, engage in a resolution process that includes fact finding, commitment to action and good judgment.
11. Results Driven: Ability to stay focused on outcomes and accomplishments. Motivated by achievements and is goal-orientated.
12. Team Leadership: Ability to create, lead, and maintain an environment that fosters teamwork, accountability, and success.
13. Technical Expertise: Uses and leverages new technologies to stay current and competitive in the long-term healthcare industry.
QUALIFICATIONS 1. Knowledge of modern business and financial management principles and practices, cost accounting, auditing, budget development, and control.
2. A strong working knowledge of accounting and finance as well as the information systems necessary to support these functions.
3. Ability to consolidate corporate entities, prepare and analyze complex reports, financial statements and state/federal regulatory codes to effectively recommend the proper course of financial operations.
4. Ability to maximize reimbursement from third-party funding sources.
5. Ability to provide leadership that fosters a team approach in meeting the mission of Oakwood.
6. Accuracy and meticulous sense of job details.
7. Ability to set priorities and meet deadlines.
8. Ability to communicate well orally and in writing.
9. Ability to handle confidential information.
10. Ability to exercise independent judgment and make sound decisions.
11. Ability to understand, support and comply with organizational policies.
12. Willingness to stay current with developments in the areas of financial management and accounting.
13. Willing and able to be flexible with hours in order to carry out the responsibilities of the position.
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION, AND/OR TRAINING 1. A bachelor's degree in accounting from an accredited college or university. CPA or CMA required.
2. Minimum of seven years accounting experience required. Health care accounting experience desired. Previous supervisor experience required.
3. Experience working with government programs and the various reporting requirements associated with those contractual relationships. Knowledge of regulations (i.e., Medicare, Medicaid, HUD, insurance, etc.).
Internal Number: 19-0329
About Oakwood Village Senior Ministries
Oakwood Village Prairie Ridge and Oakwood Village University Woods are two retirement communities that proudly provide quality service and care to approximately 950 older adults. Our goal is to foster a strong sense of community - a community in which our residents, staff, volunteers, and their families all work in unison towards the common goal of ensuring Oakwood's place as one of the best retirement services organizations in Wisconsin.