Primary Purpose: Under general supervision of the Director of Financial Aid, assists in the administration of federal, state, and institutional loan programs with emphasis in operations and technology. Ensures accurate operation of federal financial aid application process. Assists with the management of Student Information System including basic packaging of federal direct loans.
Essential Functions: 1. Process Direct loans, Health Profession Student Loans (HPSL) and other alternative/institutional loans from application through disbursement authorization including processing revised awards.
2. Perform data loads to the Student Information System, Banner including loan files and financial aid application files.
3. Send email communication regarding application status; missing documents and new and revised awards.
4. Assist with advising students on matters regarding money management, credit issues, and other related matters.
5. Assist in managing the entrance and exit interview process.
6. Review and reconcile aid disbursed to students coordinating with business office and the registrar to release holds on financial aid.
7. Ensure all systems are updated to meet compliance on policies, and regulations; make recommendations to the Director on financial aid office policies and procedures.
8. Assist with basic packaging federal direct loans.
9. Assist Director in annual Banner setup including updating PopSels, letters, etc.
10. Assist with counseling students, parents, and staff in the area of financial aid eligibility, to include the interpretation of federal, state, and institutional regulations/guidelines.
11. Remain current with federal, state, and institutional policies and procedures for the administration of the various programs of student financial aid assistance; attend conferences, workshops, or meetings related to financial aid.
12. Update/create printed forms/brochures when necessary.
13. Updates the electronic financial aid procedure manual.
14. Assist the Director in cross-training when necessary.
15. Perform all other duties as assigned by the Director of Financial Aid.
Minimum Qualifications: Knowledge of: 1. Federal loan application process. 2. Federal Title IV financial aid programs. 3. Terminology and calculations related to commercial loan processing 4. Need analysis and federal and state legislation, regulations and guidelines governing financial aid programs. 5. Software programs including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access Database and Acrobat. 6. Computerized financial aid systems. 7. Principles of business communication and composition.
Experience: 1. Minimum one year experience combined with university administrative or student services experience.
Education: 1. High school diploma or equivalent.
Working Conditions: 1. Position is full-time, 8 hours per day, 5 days per week. 2. Occasional weekend or evening assignments may occur during various school events.
Preferred Qualifications: Ability to: 1. Learn, interpret independently, and apply a variety of complex policies, and procedures. 2. Exercise sound judgment interpreting and applying policies and procedures while maintaining compliance with federal, state and institutional aid requirements. 3. Execute the delivery process in an equitable manner that ensures conformity and consistency in the student loan process. 4. Effectively counsel students and parents, individually and in group situations. 5. Maintain confidentiality of information in compliance with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and other applicable federal, state, local, or university regulations/guidelines. 6. Obtain a NSLDS access account; receive access to the National Student Loan Data Systems. 7. Work and communicate with a variety of students, parents and staff requiring effective problem solving and interpersonal skills. 8. Work efficiently and accurately under pressure and with minimal supervision. 9. Treat all persons with dignity and respect. 10. Actively demonstrate an attitude of willing service and teamwork.
Preferred Experience: 1. Minimum two years professional experience in student financial aid or student services preferred. 2. Experience with computerized financial aid systems (Banner, ELMNet, EDConnect, NSLDS, COD) preferred. 3. Graduate health profession experience preferred.
Education: 1. Bachelors Degree preferred
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative but not definitive of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Work performed is primarily general office/administrative with frequent use of computer keyboard, mouse, and phone. 2. Requires sitting majority of the working day; occasional standing, walking, bending, and reaching. 3. Occasional lifting of up to 25 lbs should be anticipated.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
Background Check Statement: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must pass a criminal background check.
Drawing on its rich legacy as the oldest chartered university in California, Pacific is a student-focused, comprehensive educational institution that produces outstanding graduates prepared for personal and professional success. Our student body thrives in Pacific's small classes and dynamic cultural environment, while our distinguished alumni are transforming their communities every day.
University of the Pacific is a nationally ranked university with a long tradition of dedicated teaching, small class sizes, practical experience and vibrant residential life. The breathtaking main campus in Stockton, California is home to seven schools and colleges, with more than 80 majors and programs of study. Pacific also has the McGeorge School of Law in Sacramento and the Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry in San Francisco. Total university enrollment is nearly 7,000, with 3,757 undergraduates in an average class size of 19 and a student/faculty ratio of 14:1. Eighty-seven percent of students come from California, with 35 other states and 25 foreign countries also represented.