UW Medicine’s mission is to improve the health of the public by advancing medical knowledge, providing outstanding primary and specialty care to the people of the region, and preparing tomorrow’s physicians, scientists and other health professionals. UW Medicine owns or operates Harborview Medical Center, Northwest Hospital & Medical Center, Valley Medical Center, and UW Medical Center, a network of UW Medicine Neighborhood Clinics that provide primary care, UW Physicians, UW School of Medicine, Airlift Northwest, and other owned, operated or affiliated entities as appropriate. In addition, UW Medicine shares in the ownership and governance of Children’s University Medical Group and Seattle Cancer Care Alliance a partnership among UW Medicine, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research, and Seattle Children’s. UW Medicine Financial Access Clearance Team Services Department (FACT):
This position may be located at any of the following UWM Campuses; Sandpoint Non-Seattle Campus (Magnusen Park), Harborview Medical Center (HMC), University of Washington Medical Center (UWMC) or other University of Washington Medicine (UWM) organization non-campus locations within the FACT department. The Financial Access Specialist 1 (FAS-1) will, under general supervision, participate in on-the-job training to learn to coordinate the insurance clearance process for Inpatient planned and unplanned admits, for Outpatient Surgery,
Clinic Procedures, high dollar Infusion, and/or Radiology high dollar Procedures, as well as, various functions associated with obtaining and verifying the insurance coverage and benefits for facility and professional services, which may include emergency services, inpatient hospitalization, transportation, rehab, therapies, nursing home placement, home health care/durable equipment, outpatient surgeries, clinical visits, and specialized procedures; also verifies L&I, Crime Victims and other coverages.
Work under direct supervision, preforming assigned work. This position coordinates the insurance clearance process for Inpatient planned and unplanned admits, for Outpatient Surgery, Clinic Procedures, high dollar Infusion, and/or Radiology high dollar Procedures.
Performs the various functions associated with obtaining and verifying the insurance coverage and benefits for facility and professional services , which may include emergency services, inpatient hospitalization, transportation, rehab, therapies, nursing home placement, home health care/durable equipment, outpatient surgeries, clinical visits, and specialized procedures; also verifies L&I, Crime Victims and other coverages.
Under general supervision, the FAS-1 will:
* Review scheduled appointments through patient work queue
* Obtain insurance authorizations through assigned payer administrators
* Verifying/document patients eligibility and benefits in Epic auth/cert
* Document progress of each case in Epic auth/cert
* Refer uninsured patients for Medicaid/Charity eligibility screening
* Prepare estimates of fees upon request from Patient Care Consultants
* Review payment options with patients
* Keeps daily productivity log as assigned
* Provides internal customers on-going status of inpatient/outpatient authorization by payer
* Collect payments
* Process payments using cash drawer in Epic
* Call patients to provide overview of limited medical benefits and Out-of-Pocket cost
* Prepare Notice of Non-Coverage form for patient signature
* Call referring providers to obtain referrals or to initiate authorization
* Provides internal customers on-going status of inpatient/outpatient authorization from the payer for surgery
* Coordinates and explains options to patients related to potential financial
* responsibilities including charity/financial assistance, possible Medicaid eligibility, financial implications of proceeding with or without authorizations, and in and out-of-network ramifications
* Confer with Financial Clearance supervisor if coverage status unclear or other information unclear.
* Interpret hospital's policies, procedures and services to patients, patient representatives, inter/intra-hospital departments and community facilities.
* Ensures patient demographic information is accurate in EPIC and REG, through patient contact or insurance verification information.
* Verify eligibility of patient’s insurance and document information.
* Verify patient benefits and document information.
* Verify or obtain an referral when it is required, prior to the service
High School diploma or GED certificate plus one year of experience in a medical office setting. OR Equivalent education/experience.
Founded in 1861, the University of Washington is one of the oldest public institutions in the west coast and one of the preeminent research universities in the world. The University of Washington is a multi-campus university comprised of three different campuses: Seattle, Tacoma, and Bothell. The Seattle campus is made up of sixteen schools and colleges that serve students ranging from an undergraduate level to a doctoral level. The university is home to world-class libraries, arts, music, drama, and sports, as well as the highest quality medical care in Washington State and a world-class academic medical center. The teaching and research of the University’s many professional schools provide undergraduate and graduate students the education necessary toward achieving an excellence that will serve the state, the region, and the nation. As part of a large and diverse community, the University of Washington serves more students than any other institution in the Northwest.